Thread: Browning rather than a Blueing?

Browning rather than a Blueing?

Had my Heym SR20 out of the cabinet today pondering how to get it finished once it has a new barrel. I might be wrong but it occurred to me it looks browned rather than blued.

Is is it possible to get the whole rifle re-browned? Is it more expensive than Blueing?

If you mean that lovely plum-brown that we see on good quality Damascus shotgun barrels, then there are very few people who can deliver a quality job that will last long. I have seen lots of shotgun jobs where the brown is so thin it is quickly worn and lost.
    There are one or two top quality craftsmen about. I suspect it would be expensive as it is a time consuming process.
    If you decide to go that way send me a PM and I will ask one of my friends who has had some top quality browning done on shotgun barrels.

It can be done and has to be done very well to last. It is more expensive than rust blacking is.

To brown a rifle barrel it typically takes me 7-10 days. The tricky part is to card off the rust often enough that no real pits form on the surface of the barrel. Usually try to pull barrels out of the humidity box at least every 8 hours. Only takes a few minuted for the carding and reapplication of the browning agent but the constant attention required during the process is what you pay for, can't really go to far away while a barrel is being done. One must also must be very mindful of not getting any of the browning agent in the bore...

SS

Some barrel steels take browning reasonably well & some won't. It's hard to predict which camp your barrel will fall into. Colour is difficult to predict too.
    As previously stated it is a slow, painstaking job & requires dedication. If it works it can look great, but it will never be as hard wearing as a hot blue or hot blacked finish.
    I once browned a hexagon section Ardessa muzzle loader barrel in parallel with a friend who did an original muzzle loader damascus barrel - We did them side by side with the same salts solution - Mine would not take properly & left a soft almost ginger finish that wore off very quickly - My friends damascus one turned the rich dark brown required & it was much better wearing.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Had my Heym SR20 out of the cabinet today pondering how to get it finished once it has a new barrel. I might be wrong but it occurred to me it looks browned rather than blued.

Is is it possible to get the whole rifle re-browned? Is it more expensive than Blueing?
    they are rather beautifully finished aren't they. Might be worth a call to heym waffenfabrik themselves in Germany or talking somebody like Phil Smith at Bozards who are doing quality work on best guns. It's not going to be cheap though. An alternative would be to have the barrel rebored to a larger calibre, thus saving refinishing and remounting open sights etc, but not sure if any rifle smiths can do so in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    they are rather beautifully finished aren't they. Might be worth a call to heym waffenfabrik themselves in Germany or talking somebody like Phil Smith at Bozards who are doing quality work on best guns. It's not going to be cheap though. An alternative would be to have the barrel rebored to a larger calibre, thus saving refinishing and remounting open sights etc, but not sure if any rifle smiths can do so in the UK.
    Thanks. I also have a gunsmith/stock builder of similar repute near to me. I will be visiting next week I think. I suspect I am going to be hard pressed to find the cash for both a new working/workhorse rifle and a refurb of this one. Will just have to put the kids on half rations for the next 6 months.