Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzles velocity

Muzzles velocity

Evening all,

Does anyone know the muzzle velocity of a sako 85 .308 stainless varmint laminated with the ase ultra moderator fitted, firing sako 123 grain game head?
    Or failing that anyone in central Scotland got access to a chronograph?

Out of my AII SAKO's 22" barrel they do about 3000fps.

Knowing how long your barrel is might enable someone to make a better-informed guess as to the likely velocity: but really in my view a chrono is the way to go.

It wouldnt be too much more, off the top of my head a 125gr nbt 3150fps

Sako factory 123gr game head is doing 920 metres per second

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    3020fps

Ian.

Every barrel is different and will give different velocities. The amount of wear/number of rounds can also be a factor. If you need to know exactly then a chronograph is the way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    You can't know that unless you put that load in that rifle over the chronagraph. What manufacturers claim and what you actually get can be quite different in real life.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You can't know that unless you put that load in that rifle over the chronagraph. What manufacturers claim and what you actually get can be quite different in real life.
    #

I've often wondered about this - how big is the difference (assuming you use the same length barrel as they did)?

I can understand worrying (a bit) about it if the difference is, say, more than 200 fps, but not if it's within 100 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

I've often wondered about this - how big is the difference (assuming you use the same length barrel as they did)?
    I'm not sure it's possible to say. In the first place, test-barrel lengths seem to be longer than modern standard sporter barrels in most cases - exceptions I've noted being RWS, where teeny-tiny barrels (450mm) are used for 6.5mmM-S, everything else getting 600 or 650mm except 6.5x55.

My father's Tikka, gave 100fps more than the 'book value' with one brand despite its being 2" shorter than the test-barrel. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this rifle gives pressure-signs well below book-maximum loads when reloading, but gives commensurately good veloicites at those lighter charges.

My own 6.5x55 gave jaw-droppingly slow performance vs 'book values', but I subsequently realised that the test-barrel for those figures was 29" long!

I'm sure you're right about 100fps or so (more, perhaps) making no noticable difference at stalking ranges, and it is largely an academic question anyway if, as in an ideal world even if you'd calculated your drops based on a measured average MV, you'd check your zero out to the maximum range you might have to shoot a wounded deer - perhaps 100yds further than you'd shoot a healthy one.
    Last edited by Dalua; 27-03-2014 at 17:42.

Cheers for all the comments, I am borrowing a chronograph tomorrow, so I will find out the correct muzzle velocity.