Thread: Any tips for welping, bitches first litter

Any tips for welping, bitches first litter

Have lined one of the bitches in my avitar to one of the dogs in the picture
    She is showing now and has 3 weeks to go
    Any welping tips welcome please
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Give her a quiet place, clean, not drafty, and dry with enough room so she don't lay on any and leave her alone (the hardest part ) til she's done... one of them cheap ebay wireless cameras are nice to have in case there is a problem. If you have a vet handy, maybe a good idea to make sure you can contact them if a big problem comes up. We keep puppy milk replacer powder and feeding tubes (bottles will drive you insane) on hand in case of large litters and/or slow starters. We weigh them after she is finished and has them all clean/dry then once or twice daily to make sure they are gaining enough and help with tube feeding accordingly. After you see she is taking care/feeding of all of them (even tho you may help with additional feeding) trust her instincts. If she starts to single out and push one away, don't waste a lot of time on it cause if it lives because you did everything, it'll more than likely be a freak somehow. And keep her condition up... Feed her quality (not necessarily expensive) food as much as she wants and always have fresh water.
    As far as the puppies, we handle them at least once a day to weigh them and just fuss over them a few minutes from day 1 increasing the time a little as the days go on to give mom a break.

All that being said, if she is a dog that is used to constant attention and fussing, nothing wrong with putting a pad on the floor and hanging out to hold her paw if it don't distract her....

And ENJOY the fun.....

Be prepared to get involved would my advice.
    If the bitch becomes tired she may not be interested in "licking the bag" when they come out.
    Or if they don't respond to her licking you may have to do this
    You will be surprised how rough you have to be and for how long you have to do it.
    If they are not responding to this then keep going - you may have to blow into their face, this gives them some air.
    If all that has not worked then they may be still borne.

You will know when the time comes for her to whelp, just make sure she is where you intend her to be - she will try and find a den to do it in. Believe me, finding her with them under the stairs is a real PITA.
    Make her a whelping box - but NOW is the time to make this her bed and hence the place she will naturally whelp.

Get the pups on the mums milk ASAP - that is the most important thing. The back teats are the best!
    You may have to help the run(s) out - move them on to the good ones to give them a chance against the bruiser of the litter.
    My advice is not to bother with powder milk - mums is always best.
    Just spend time with you mum and the runt in a "private feeding session". They usually come out good.

Once the pups have fed mum will lick them - this will stimulate them to poo and wee - again depending on mum and the litter size you may have to help out if needed.
    Mum will naturally eat this!

During the coming few weeks keep visitor numbers down. Everyone likes to see pups but let them have time to be safe. Last thing you want is someone bringing a virus in. When they get to that playful stage then by all means let a few select people in.

You will most likely have some die/still borne - this happens. Sometimes it doesn't.
    Soemtimes mum does it all on her own - sometimes it doesn't.
    My point is - be prepared!
    Good luck.
    Last edited by scubadog; 27-03-2014 at 08:48.

Get her whelping area set up now and let her stay/sleep in that for at least the week running upto her due date, it helps her feel more comforted rather than just sticking in the whelping box when she's showing signs. You need to keep stress to a minimum, so limited noise and ideally, the same person checking on her at regular intervals.

Have plenty of spare blankets at the time of whelping (I just use several blankets in the bitches bed prior to whelping so her scent is on them all) then after her 'waters' have gone and after 'X' amount of puppies you can change the blanket for one of your spares - this just helps to keep everything clean and hygienic for the pups.

A lot of dogs are left to their own devices and to get on with it; I, rightly or wrongly, prefer to be there as much as possible, especially with a maiden bitch. This just helps recognise the signs of any issues which may arise such as continued pushing/contractions but no sign of a pup at her back end.

Also, something I've had to do on occasion, is split the sack to allow the bitch to start licking the pup to stimulate breathing.

Something else I was recommended and I do with all my litters is to cut the umbilical cord myself and tie a knot using cotton on the end of it. My experience of the one time I didnt do this was the maiden bitch chewed through the umbilical cords but they came away right at the naval and two pups in that litter had umbilical hernias.

All this is just my personal opinion and experience, I am in no way a vet so people may agree and also disagree and have their own way.

Best of luck with the litter!

Whelping box is a safe bet and stops bitch laying on the pups.
    I have one that you can use ,but will need it back in 6 weeks time as my spaniel bitch is due to whelp then