contact lenses

fly tyer

i have recently started wearing contact lenses and my long range vision (2-3 meters and further) is great but am strugling with short range such as reading and more anoying i cant get my binos to focus whilewearing them.

does anybody know why this is?

i can actualy get much sharper focus on the binos with no vision corection at all

this is quite anoying because i use binos and scopes rifles dayly and thought it would be easyer to use optics without glasses in the way

any advice would be great.

I would suspect you are over 40. It is then called old age. As a glasses wearer I have use dcontacts. The Bino.s would have to be adjusted to suit wearing the lenses. Reading glasses needed for short work. It is the reason I gave up. You probably now read better without glasses than with. The lens of the bino's are focused from the glass lens of the glases. This changes without glases, The bins lens in now closer to the eye. focus is altered.
It is a stage I went through so just speculating age is catching up,
Jim

age it most probably is :( I have in the last year gone from being more than able to focus close in while wearing lens to needing reading glasses with lens :(.normal glasses funnily enough leave me unable to read as well, although pushing them out of the way returns clarity! optics however should be adjustable to allow you to see clearly through them while wearing lens

Looks like you have joined us in the veterans club. I have same problem, my eyes are now about -5 diopters.

If I wear soft contacts then it is a bugger for close up work. On your bins, adjust out eye cups to max, and then adjust appropriate eye piece on one side of bins having first adjusted other with main focusing control. Should be fine.

You will find that you will have to wind out the adjuster on your scope. Can be realy critical on some scopes, it is vital on my MK 4 Leupold.

To focus reticule, point unloaded rifle at sky, so effectively infinity and then adjust adjuster on rear objective of scope until the reticule is in fine focus. Simple but vital.

Only problem is when your sharing some one elses rifle, esp at night foxin.

D

By coincidence, I'm (a) a contact lens wearer, and (b) went for my full check-up on my peepers this morning....

All OK with my eyes BUT the Optician did ask if I could read without problems when wearing my lenses (fortnightly disposables); I can, but she did say that may change over the next couple off years (I've just turned 40 by the way....I know, I know, I don't look it..... :eek: ).

Would support the view that it's just the passage of time.

As an aside, I was 7 minutes late for my appt due to slow-moving traffic on icy roads; when I arrived, I was met rather huffily with "You are VERY late for your appointment. You do know that don't you?"

My reply: "Last time I arrived here bang on-time - on bone dry roads - you kept me waiting for 45 minutes. I think that kind of levels things out...." :D

Cheeky buggers. :evil:

ATB,

Merlin

Mrs Sikadog wears contact lenses and shoots, she wears a long distance one in her right eye and a short distance one in her left eye and last year on beaters day she shot a left and right at ducks. So there must be something wright.

I went the OTHER way. From wearing contacts to stopping wearing them and wearing glasses. I am short sighted so I just take off my glasses for reading or fly tying.

I keep them on for shooting. Either with iron sights or with a telescopic sight. What I can't do now is use a mid-barrel open sight. Think SMLE or most air rifles.

Still OK with a receiver mounted aperture sight. Think No. 4 and aperure sight air rifles.

The only problem is taking glasses off for close up work then forgetting where I've put them! And I'm not going to use the Larry Grayson solution to that!

Fraid even at my young age :eek: I have succumbed to the glasses off scenario & can't wear my lenses, thought about laser treatment but was told it doesn't really cure this problem and it still re-occurs at a later date meaning you still need reading glasses :cry:

Hi,

Re laser correction, have considered it and know people who swear by it however have heard that in some cases at night people suffer bad glare effects from headlights. Sadly I commute 30k miles a year and drive a lot at night so wont risk it. Also optician said might still need specs.

As for sharing guns, my much younger shooting buddy has eyes like a hawk and it is infuriating at night. If I use his gun then I normally have to adjust the scope. Trouble is not sure what gun he will bring, currently using custom built .17 CF, with Kahles scope with ultra fine reticule, which I can't see. Awesome on foxws with 20grn v max, 4x4 in last two outings.

6 mm BR with nigtforce is OK, and .204 with NV is just imposible.

Needless to say he tends to drive , I lamp and he tends to shoot more than me.

D

Cyres said:
...have heard that in some cases at night people suffer bad glare effects from headlights.

That put me off too. I also read on one company's web site - ironically, it was in the small print! - that 'this treatment may not be suitable for people of a perfectionist nature".

Since I only expect perfection from my 'scopes and bins they can think again if they believe I'll pay good money to let somebody do a bodge job!

If you can endure the initial discomfort I would recommend trying GP (hard) lenses in preference to the soft, disposable types. I tried the latter type but the optician couldn't find a wholly suitable prescription because of the way they shift and turn every time you blink. GPs, on the other hand, are as close to BSC (best spectacled correction) as you can hope for.

Now, did somebody mention hearing aids? Eh? What??

I asked my optician a while ago about laser treatment; I have larger than average pupils (8-9mm, compared to the 'average' of 7mm). What he told me was that the lasers could only do 7mm diameter pupils, so I'd end up with clear vision centrally, then a fuzzy halo beyond that due to the additional pupil diameter. Not really what you'd want :confused: . But, on the flip-side, one of the guys who works for me had his done about 18mths ago, and has perfect vision now....

:eek: <= What you look like immediately after being zapped with the peeper-laser.....

Back