Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako Super Hammerhead

Sako Super Hammerhead

Just bought some Sako Super Hammerhead .308 150g, has anyone got experience with these? Not much information about them on the Sako website, wanted to know the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and whether the jacket is pure copper or copper alloy. Trying a few brands to see what the rifle likes, will be using them on Roe and Reds.
    Last edited by Sako308; 28-03-2014 at 19:07.

Kick like a bloody mule. Think they must be loaded up for big game.

Nice and accurate in my rifle, didn't notice more recoil than any other brand. Buchan has used them more than me and he seems happy with them. Ballistic coefficient won't be good! Would have thought about the same as a Speer mag tip at 0.27 or thereabouts
    Last edited by srvet; 28-03-2014 at 22:00.

Let us know how you get on with them, lots of talk on here about how many folk rate the Sako 123gr in 308.....I'm sure they'll work just fine.....good luck

Yes SR, I'm sure I caught a look on the face of the deer looking back at his companion that said, "It might be effective, but I didn't think much of the BC of that load"

I've used them for about a year, nice groups (any variation probably mine). I tried the 123gr, but 150gr better in my rifle (sako 85)

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Yes SR, I'm sure I caught a look on the face of the deer looking back at his companion that said, "It might be effective, but I didn't think much of the BC of that load"

I've used them for about a year, nice groups (any variation probably mine). I tried the 123gr, but 150gr better in my rifle (sako 85)

Tee hee!!

so all the deer that you shot to death actually died then...despite the BC

I always reload so don't know about the ammo but excellant bullet, my bullet of choice if I can get them, and they are quite reasonable price wise also. I have shot sika, roe and fallow with them with no problems whatsoever. Not worried about ballistic coefficient as I only shoot stalking distances anyway. The jacket is the usual gilding metal similar to most conventional bullets, nothing radical about these bullets they are plain and simple and they work.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

My Swarovski ballistic app lists BC as .410. No idea on the accuracy of this figure!

Thanks for the replies, the BC was purely for interest sake, I know not important for the distances I shoot at. I have been using the Sako 123g for a while, shoots about 1.5 inch groups (130yds) out of my Sako 85 which is fine for stalking. I will report back after I've fired off some of the Super Hammerheads. Trying the Federal 150g Power Shok as well, couldn't get hold of any Federal Fusion.

I too have a Sako 85 and with the right loads the 150 grn bullets will shoot genuine 1/2" or less groups all day long, never had the need for lighter bullets so don't know how they would perform out of the same barrel.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.