Sako Super Hammerhead

Sako308

Just bought some Sako Super Hammerhead .308 150g, has anyone got experience with these? Not much information about them on the Sako website, wanted to know the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and whether the jacket is pure copper or copper alloy. Trying a few brands to see what the rifle likes, will be using them on Roe and Reds.

Last edited:
Nice and accurate in my rifle, didn't notice more recoil than any other brand. Buchan has used them more than me and he seems happy with them. Ballistic coefficient won't be good! Would have thought about the same as a Speer mag tip at 0.27 or thereabouts

Last edited:
Let us know how you get on with them, lots of talk on here about how many folk rate the Sako 123gr in 308.....I'm sure they'll work just fine.....good luck

Yes SR, I'm sure I caught a look on the face of the deer looking back at his companion that said, "It might be effective, but I didn't think much of the BC of that load"

I've used them for about a year, nice groups (any variation probably mine). I tried the 123gr, but 150gr better in my rifle (sako 85)

Yes SR, I'm sure I caught a look on the face of the deer looking back at his companion that said, "It might be effective, but I didn't think much of the BC of that load"

I've used them for about a year, nice groups (any variation probably mine). I tried the 123gr, but 150gr better in my rifle (sako 85)

Tee hee!!

so all the deer that you shot to death actually died then...despite the BC

I always reload so don't know about the ammo but excellant bullet, my bullet of choice if I can get them, and they are quite reasonable price wise also. I have shot sika, roe and fallow with them with no problems whatsoever. Not worried about ballistic coefficient as I only shoot stalking distances anyway. The jacket is the usual gilding metal similar to most conventional bullets, nothing radical about these bullets they are plain and simple and they work.

Thanks for the replies, the BC was purely for interest sake, I know not important for the distances I shoot at. I have been using the Sako 123g for a while, shoots about 1.5 inch groups (130yds) out of my Sako 85 which is fine for stalking. I will report back after I've fired off some of the Super Hammerheads. Trying the Federal 150g Power Shok as well, couldn't get hold of any Federal Fusion.

I too have a Sako 85 and with the right loads the 150 grn bullets will shoot genuine 1/2" or less groups all day long, never had the need for lighter bullets so don't know how they would perform out of the same barrel.

Just bought some Sako Super Hammerhead .308 150g, has anyone got experience with these? Not much information about them on the Sako website, wanted to know the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and whether the jacket is pure copper or copper alloy. Trying a few brands to see what the rifle likes, will be using them on Roe and Reds.

You need to look harder http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoCartridgesDatatable2014.pdf third row in the weight column B.C. G1 is .410 ( no idea what G1 is though )

That seems very optimistic for a flat nosed bullet. Sounds like sales pitch! The G1 refers to the mathematical model used to calculate the BC. The G1 and G7 models are most commonly used. G7 is supposed to be more accurate for predicting long range trajectory but G1 is more commonly used and is generally fine for stalking ranges

My sako 85 likes them but i don't like the price so i reload 150 pro-hunters ,

Paul when I can get them in my local gun shop they are cheaper than Pro-hunters. The only problem is that GMK have a high minimum order number for them which puts the shop off, probably something to do with profit margins.:evil:

I consider them to be a short range bullet due to the bullet profile but that suits me as I don't shoot over a couple of hundred yards anyway, well certainly not stalking wise.

Last edited:
FWIW, my old PH mod 1200 didn't like them at all.

The best group at 100 from 40 rounds was 2.1/4"

FWIW, my old PH mod 1200 didn't like them at all.

The best group at 100 from 40 rounds was 2.1/4"

That's the problem with Parker Hale's they were not used to decent bullets. :lol: What load were you using Old Man?

lol i home load feller :tiphat:

Paul when I can get them in my local gun shop they are cheaper than Pro-hunters. The only problem is that GMK have a high minimum order number for them which puts the shop off, probably something to do with profit margins.:evil:

I consider them to be a short range bullet due to the bullet profile but that suits me as I don't shoot over a couple of hundred yards anyway, well certainly not stalking wise.

They shoot well in my 308, Sako A7 they and the Federal power shock both sub 1 inch at a 100 yards and I think at my local RFD they are £28 for the federals and £29 for the Sako.

Back