Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting back to reloading the .308 feedback please

getting back to reloading the .308 feedback please

I have reloaded ammunition in the past but this was some time ago. I have got back to stalking and now have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308win 20" barrel. I wish to develop a go to all round load for deer. And why not reload again? I tie my own flies for fishing so there is a kind of parallel with shooting.

I am thinking of 150 gr. Sierra Prohunters using Vihtavuori propellant N140 as there seems to be more than a few good write ups on this combo. I have been shooting 150gr. Federal Powershok factory rounds so far with good enough results. I am interested in increasing accuracy but still want to full length resize as I value the positive cycling over all. I was going to use the Vihtavuori data start with the starting load and build up say 6 loads at increases of 0.2 grain and see if I can get a more accurate round. I will have to let the barrel cool off between groups.

Advise away! especially Tikka T3 shooters/reloaders.

I embarked upon the following experiment for a laugh, and I think it is useful for someone in the same position as yourself. It is probably best to read the posts in order:

Opinions on these groups

The multi-load group gets bigger...

The fun continues, and the group grows

My advice is to beware the mumbo-jumbo :-) and also, on the basis of my experiment, that your chosen load will probably shoot well. The factory ammo I shot in my experiment was 150 grain Federal Powershok.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Have a wee shufty through the reloading pages here, loads and loads of info on this very subject, a pal shoots that bullet with 44 grains of viht N140 and that's a load that is favoured by many....

I shoot 150 gr game kings through a sako 85. Found the node points were around44 and 46.5 gr N140. Went for the higher as when chronoed gave me good ballistics from the shorter barrel. This is a stunningly accurate load with touching rounds at 100yds.

Hope this helps

BE

Quote Originally Posted by 2506min View Post
    Have a wee shufty through the reloading pages here, loads and loads of info on this very subject, a pal shoots that bullet with 44 grains of viht N140 and that's a load that is favoured by many....
    works well with me using prohunters,very accurate.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Thanks for the spread of opinion. I have been recommended prohunters too, Sierra bullets are supposed to be made simply to be more consistent. I will report back with the results

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I have reloaded ammunition in the past but this was some time ago. I have got back to stalking and now have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308win 20" barrel. I wish to develop a go to all round load for deer. And why not reload again? I tie my own flies for fishing so there is a kind of parallel with shooting.

I am thinking of 150 gr. Sierra Prohunters using Vihtavuori propellant N140 as there seems to be more than a few good write ups on this combo. I have been shooting 150gr. Federal Powershok factory rounds so far with good enough results. I am interested in increasing accuracy but still want to full length resize as I value the positive cycling over all. I was going to use the Vihtavuori data start with the starting load and build up say 6 loads at increases of 0.2 grain and see if I can get a more accurate round. I will have to let the barrel cool off between groups.

Advise away! especially Tikka T3 shooters/reloaders.
    I shoot a Sako 75 S/S .308win. I always shot 150gr Federals, I decided to go down the reloading route and my gun loves 165gr Hornady SST. The damage is less to the carcase than the 150gr Federals. It is Pointless giving you my load as i've got to start afresh as i used Varget which now has little to no supply- so have to redevelop a new load.

Start at 42.0 gr Varget and work up to 44.0 with the 165-gr SST in the .308 Winchester.
    Start at 2.80 inches, but you may have to set it out to 2.84, depending on your rifling. 2.80 is to the cannelure. Don't seat it shorter; that will increase pressure too much.

Same applies to RL-15.
    H-4895 is good, too, somewhere 42.5 to 43.5. Start at 40.5 and work up.

Cooler primers work better: Rem 9.5, CCI-200 and GI34, Federal 210, Fed 210M Gold Medal, BR-2

But remember that there is 1.5 grain capacity difference in .308 or 7.62x51mm brass. In the USA, we reload a lot of heavier military brass because it is all boxer primed. That is why a chronograph is a good thing, to tell you when you are topping out on velocity, with pressure just going up, especially in cartridges which operate at higher pressures.
    Last edited by Southern; 30-03-2014 at 03:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Start at 42.0 gr Varget and work up to 44.0 with the 165-gr SST in the .308 Winchester.
    Start at 2.80 inches, but you may have to set it out to 2.84, depending on your rifling. 2.80 is to the cannelure. Don't seat it shorter; that will increase pressure too much.

Same applies to RL-15.
    H-4895 is good, too, somewhere 42.5 to 43.5. Start at 40.5 and work up.

Cooler primers work better: Rem 9.5, CCI-200 and GI34, Federal 210, Fed 210M Gold Medal, BR-2

But remember that there is 1.5 grain capacity difference in .308 or 7.62x51mm brass. In the USA, we reload a lot of heavier military brass because it is all boxer primed. That is why a chronograph is a good thing, to tell you when you are topping out on velocity, with pressure just going up, especially in cartridges which operate at higher pressures.
    This seems to summarise supremely well, Varget and H-4895 are also in there. I am vacillating on Varget or Vihtavuori at the moment. Interesting about about the primers, I had no idea this could make a difference. I will start low and work up, I am not sure about the capacity of the Federal brass.

Sako 85 .308 and old now gone rpa .243 worked well with pro hunters good bullet and do's the job down range h4895/v140.