multiple .22's

Tulloch

Hey guys I know with my .243 and .270 if I wanted to posses another one of each calibre I would have to ask for a variation however with the .22 I was told I could purchase a .22 bolt action aswell as still keeping my .22 semi without requesting a variation . Is this true? As I know I am not allowed tp shoot certain ground game with a semi auto .

No, you will need a variation for an extra rifle of any caliber. Good reason is the main point for your second rifle of the same caliber.

If you want two .22 rifles you will have to have two spaces for such on your certificate so you will have to apply for a variation if you currently only have permission to possess one.

"As I know I am not allowed tp shoot certain ground game with a semi auto" .
Can you elaborate of this, what ground game are you talking about? Any game that you can shoot with a .22 single shot or bolt action you can shoot with a semi-auto .22.

My FAC just said .22 rifle. Two different RFD s had different ideas if I could get a .22 rimfire or centrefire. I ended up getting a semi auto and had no probe with Sussex. I wanted a bolt action too which I gave reasons for and had to get a variation for and that has specified its got to be a bolt action. If yours just has a slot for a .22lr then I'd think you can buy bolt action or semi auto.

If you want two .22 rifles you will have to have two spaces for such on your certificate so you will have to apply for a variation if you currently only have permission to possess one.

"As I know I am not allowed tp shoot certain ground game with a semi auto" .
Can you elaborate of this, what ground game are you talking about? Any game that you can shoot with a .22 single shot or bolt action you can shoot with a semi-auto .22.
One of my permissions has a lucense to shoot hares in and out of season but It is illegal to shoot hares withe a semi auto

One of my permissions has a lucense to shoot hares in and out of season but It is illegal to shoot hares withe a semi auto

Sorry don't know where you are getting your information from but it is not illegal to shoot hares with a .22 semi auto
Geordiehttps:Google shooting hares with semi auto

Last edited:
tulloch do a one for one variation ,get rid of the auto and get a good bolt you wont miss the auto,i promise atb doug, never heard that one on the hares?

Tulloch I think you may be misunderstanding the terms of your licence and the wildlife and countryside Act. Have a look at the BASC website and in particular the shooting of pests guidance note with semi-auto shotguns and rifles.

i have three .22lr's on my license
2 are mine (one very short barrel, one long barrel)
1 is my father's

I also have 3 other rimfire calibres

get your justification right and ducks in a row and there is nothing to stop you having what you need
E.G.:
short barrel
long barrel
semi
bolt
dedicated NV
one for subs only
one for HV only

In the SNH guidlines ammendment of the countryside (Scotland) act 1981 , I am sure it read that you cannot shoot mountain or brown hares with a semi automatic , spent the whole of last night in hospital with my wife as she was getting contractions so when I started this thread my head was pickled with boredom and tiredness and the Heat of Raigmore Hospital lol

But guys with all the legislation I have been reading from Geese to Hares I could have had it all mixed up in my tired head lmao

Last edited:
I had a slot for a .22 and got a semi-auto. Just put in my variation and asked for a bolt action .22, not sure if this will be worded on my FAC or if it will just state .22

Back