Sauer Wolverine or custom build?

User00035

Following on from the Vermin calibre thread I'm now seriously thinking of changing my .222 for a .22-250. I shoot corvids, rabbits, foxes and muntjac with some informal target shooting at the range thrown in. (Usually 300-400 yards, occasional 600). I've tried to develop a do-it-all 50 grain round for my triple but it just doesn't have the performance to tick all the boxes and I'm really struggling to keep it supplied with the Federal factory ammo it likes.
I've concluded I'm asking too much of the cartridge and after much consideration of all the pros and cons I've settled on the .22-250.
I'd be looking for a high quality long and heavy barrelled varminter. Its going to be shooting 50/55 grain most of the time so I'm assuming a 1:12 or 1:14 twist.
With the demise of the Sako 75 choice is limited. I don't want stumpy 20 inchers and I don't want a Remington, I don't like them. The end.
That leaves the pig-ugly but superb shooting Steyr SSG; A Savage (ditto to a lesser extent the Steyr); A Kimber Pro Varmint (mixed reviews on this and other forums); The pricey but classy Sauer Wolverine (unknown quantity for me); or a custom build.

I'd be quite prepared to spend Wolverine money if it genuinely cuts the mustard. But at that price could I do better with a custom?

As always, opinions welcome. But on the rifle options please, not the calibre. Done that.

Last edited:
.22-250 is a great calibre. Had a tikka in .22-250 for a couple of years. Deadly for sika with neck shots:) I have a sauer 202, not a wolverine, an elegance in .243. Very accurate. Quality is brilliant. I have handled the wolverine, very nice. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

Last edited:
I had a Ruger #1 in 22-250, 26" barrel but shorter overall length than a 22" barreled bolt action. Not everyones cup of tea but something a bit different.

The trouble with a custom rifle is that it is custom to you. If you want to sell it you will lose a lot of money. Buying someone else's custom rifle is not quite the same. I have a Sauer and once you get used to the safety catch they are a fine rifle. The wolverine is though very expensive, £500 more than a Jagdmatch the only difference being is the calibre and fluted barrel. The beauty of a Sauer though is that you can change the barrel so once you have one it will last a lifetime.

This is simple - you can have a rifle carefully designed by a highly paid team of fully qualified German engineers using the latest software and the most advanced technology, metals and design methods and with multi-million pound investment behind them. Or you can have something knocked up by some bloke in his shed.

This is simple - you can have a rifle carefully designed by a highly paid team of fully qualified German engineers using the latest software and the most advanced technology, metals and design methods and with multi-million pound investment behind them. Or you can have something knocked up by some bloke in his shed.

Ah, but consider: which is the truly English way to do things, and which way is -to put it bluntly- tantamount to cheating?

'Effing priceless Philip, the prophet in his own country and all that.

That's it. The 260 is going and I'm getting another Blaser.

Ref the Wolverine, fantastic rifle that I wouldn't want to carry deer stalking.

Ah, but consider: which is the truly English way to do things, and which way is -to put it bluntly- tantamount to cheating?

Yes a gun that shoots is dashed unsporting. Takes all the fun out of it. :old:

Resale value of a custom is a good point. As is the ease of barrel replacement with the Sauer.
To be honest I was expecting a few comments along the lines of "what you want to buy that overpriced **** for. Go to so-and-so he'll build you something that'll shoot twice as good as that for £1500".
And I think I've had the odd shed built rifle... Maybe time to try the German method.

Incidentally, what barrel life should I expect from a .22-250 that's going to spend most of its life shooting 50 odd grains at the thick end of 3800 fps? Not that it matters - it is what it is. I'm curious because I've heard conflicting claims.

Also, anyone know the twist rate of the Wolverine in .22-250? Can't seem to find it on the Sauer site. And would a 1:12 or 1:14 suit a 50 -55 grain bullet?

Also, anyone know the twist rate of the Wolverine in .22-250? Can't seem to find it on the Sauer site. And would a 1:12 or 1:14 suit a 50 -55 grain bullet?

Don't know for sure. My Blaser 22/250 was a 1/12, would think the Sauer is the same. I really fancy a custom 22/250 purely because I want a 1/9 twist, though I would think the 1/12 will get you to 60grs at least.

Last edited:
The trouble with a custom rifle is that it is custom to you. If you want to sell it you will lose a lot of money.

Fully agree. A custom rifle would be almost without value here. Would not sell better than a second hand basic Rem 700. 600/ 700 euro max.

Love it

I must of missed something in the translation of LEGAL cals for deer !!!! neck shooting sika with 22.250 ?????:evil:

Have a look some of the Cooper arms selection on there web sight.
Have a M54 Custom Classic in .243 took some time to find out what it likes to shoot, but once sorted very accuret, gives me ½" with 100gr Federal Power Shok.

John

I was faced with this dilema a couple of years ago...I still have my sauer and I cannot see myself ever selling it, it shoots way better than I ever will and is as hard wearing as I have ever seen, also I still love the precision and build quality, every part of it is well built.

regards,
Gixer

Right behind the Gixmeister on this one. The Sauer is a lovely, well-engineered, ergonomically sound piece of kit. It is stupidly accurate with a range of factory ammo. (I would rather dig my eyes out with a cocktail stick than spend time reloading.)

If it were lost at the bottom of a lake or spirited away by aliens, I would order another in exactly the same configuration the next day and I take comfort in knowing that, as it is not a custom, I could do just that and have an identical rifle turn up.

regards

Ian

Get a 6mm BR. There is a fine looking and shooting custom Ruger No. 1 for sale on here.

K

Just the same thought i was having too mate;)
But as said - 22-250 its to be!!!
If you like the Sako 75 , buy a second hand one and have it customized!!!
As for selling it / i dont get a rifle built for someone else i get it built for me and what i want it for!! - that way i am not disappointed!!:D
You can have what barrel you want in profile / length / twist rate / throat / neck size..
You mention about your rounds and by the sounds of it you buy factory as well- i would rather reload that way you can tune your load to your rifle and not worry about how it shoots with a new batch..

Last edited:
Back