Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The versatile Hornet.

The versatile Hornet.

Out last night with my newish CZ Hornet (22 of course). Horrible weather and was toying with the idea of going home early. So glad I stayed.
    First on the agenda was a couple of rats, body shots at about 20 meters. Then seven rabbits all head shots ranging from 30 meters out to about 120 meters and then to top the night off a squeak brought in a couple of foxes, body shots at about 80 meters.
    Everything dropped on the spot, no runners.
    What a great caliber. Easily the cheapest to load, very quiet and lethal to boot. I can,t recommend the caliber highly enough.

Yup, have to agree, so much going for it I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

Neil.

What a pair of clods.
    Twenty-Two Hornet is just marginally better than a 22 magnum. It's underpowered, inaccurate, and largely useless. You guys should grow a pair and get a Man's rifle.
    Jeez! ~Muir ()

(PS: Good shooting!)

I was thinking about getting a HMR but i don't think i could handle the extra power and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by neil the plumber View Post
    I was thinking about getting a HMR but i don't think i could handle the extra power and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    What a pair of clods.
    Twenty-Two Hornet is just marginally better than a 22 magnum. It's underpowered, inaccurate, and largely useless. You guys should grow a pair and get a Man's rifle.
    Jeez! ~Muir ()

(PS: Good shooting!)
    Glad you've seen the light Muir....;-)
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I also use now and again a 22 hornet to great use, cheap and easy to reload and very accurate also sits nicely in among my "man" rifles in my cabinets.

well done neil. i am in the processes of swapping my 17 hmr for a 22 hornet. and posts like yours make me feel it cant come soon enough. can i ask what heads are you using. did you feel nervous about shooting rats so close

I am using 40 Blitzking with great results. Cheaper than a max and just as good through my rifle. Small finger nail groups at 140 meters off sand bags. Have used the soft nosed 40 grain and these open up to about a postage stamp size at the same distance.
    Soft back drop or a step angle of entree with no trouble of metal coming back my way, guts are another matter. Tend not to shoot under ten meters after that little episode.
    Glad to hear about your purchase. You will not be disappointed. Hand on heart, I could sell my 5 22lrs, HMR, Mach2, 2 223's and my .308 and just keep my 243 and Hornet, but where's the fun in that.

And another question if you don't mind. I see sierra do hornet heads. In 40 gn. How do these differ from the normal soft points. And what diameter heads do you use. 223 or 224.