Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of rounds

Cost of rounds

Hi all,
    Just curious really, with a bit of luck and persuasion of the wife I'll probably be applying for my FAC this year. I've seen all the arguments for this calibre versus that caliber, this bullet versus that bullet, etc. What I'm curious to know is, is there any issue with cost (and availability) of ammo for a chosen calibre? I.e. are some rifles cheaper to run based on ammo cost (or ease of purchasing), enough to make it a consideration when choosing what to apply for? Or does it make no odds? Obviously I'm talking comparable stalking rifles here, not the cost of .22 compared to BMG!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I have just topped up this weekand only use Norma.Cost was.
    .308 150gns 38.95 a box of 20.
    .243 100gns 37.50 a box of 20
    I know there is cheaper ammo but it works well for me.Wf1

Availability of ammo is probably the key factor even ahead of cost. The common cartridges will generally be readily available and will tend to be the less expensive. If you go for something less common then you will have a whole new hobby of driving around far flung gun shops trying to buy ammo and the cost, in terms of your time and petrol, will probably be far greater than the difference in cost of the ammo. If you watch this forum you will see that most people who get talked into some less common cartridge, on the basis that it is half an inch flatter at 1000 yards or some other meaningless balderdash, are not long before they are posting asking where they can get ammo and, then, asking how they are going to afford what they can get.

However, the other side to this is that some people are interested in guns and some are interested in stalking so for some the challenge of getting ammo, or sourcing components and making their own, for a less common cartridge is part of the fun of gun ownership.

Each person has to balance up their own priorities but my advice is that if you want to go stalking then buy something that is common as muck.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Availability of ammo is probably the key factor even ahead of cost. The common cartridges will generally be readily available and will tend to be the less expensive. If you go for something less common then you will have a whole new hobby of driving around far flung gun shops trying to buy ammo and the cost, in terms of your time and petrol, will probably be far greater than the difference in cost of the ammo. If you watch this forum you will see that most people who get talked into some less common cartridge, on the basis that it is half an inch flatter at 1000 yards or some other meaningless balderdash, are not long before they are posting asking where they can get ammo and, then, asking how they are going to afford what they can get.

However, the other side to this is that some people are interested in guns and some are interested in stalking so for some the challenge of getting ammo, or sourcing components and making their own, for a less common cartridge is part of the fun of gun ownership.

Each person has to balance up their own priorities but my advice is that if you want to go stalking then buy something that is common as muck.

+1 good advice

Start reloding. Lots of fun,you get to know the rifle and ammunition extremely well and even for slightly niche calibers you can usually order online or find one of the chaps on here, who will help with supplies/ship them to your local RFD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanpaul View Post
    Start reloding. Lots of fun,you get to know the rifle and ammunition extremely well and even for slightly niche calibers you can usually order online or find one of the chaps on here, who will help with supplies/ship them to your local RFD
    Yes, reloading, along with casting saves a fortune.

.444marlin factory Remington ammo, 51/20
    home cast/loaded for same..... =>5/20

plus the satisfaction that you made the bullet that helped fill the freezer

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Depends on how many rifles you plan on having, ie one for stalking and one for vermin/fox or just one for fox and deer. The more calibres you have the cheaper and more economical reloading investment becomes.

I'd say stick to the "normal" calibres and avoid the fancier magnum calibres, in other words look at .308 , .243 , even .30-06
    Last edited by timbeech; 29-03-2014 at 19:58.

Maybe just ask your RfD for advice, Timbeech on the money here, 308 / 243, plenty to choose from, find a brand that shoots well and just stick with it, a lot of folk spend a fortune trying this and that before going back to their original choice...

.308 ppu under 13 quid a box 150 grain.federal hi shock 25 quid a box 180 grain both put a deer in the freezer.price of one buys 2 boxes of ppuno brainer if your rifle likes them

I wondered similar not long ago and went for a 243 for choice and availability of ammo.

Use 2 rounds at the moment, 100 gr soft point PPU for practise, deer etc - 60 pence a pop. Bit loopier than my other choice but good for 100-150yds and same zero as the 58gr at that range.

Use 58 gr norma ballistic for fox and vermin, 1.20 a pop. Very flat and fast and in my opinion (and others who advised me) better for safety for beginners as if I miss at night its much less likely to ricochet (safe back stop a given) , if that makes sense. A good night out is 4 or 5 rounds, much cheaper than the pub so its not much of an issue!