Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr

17 hmr

I recently have purchased a cz 17hmr style and used it last night for the first time and can honestly say what a great little calibre, nice accuracy on rabbits from 30 yards out to around 100 yards. Im using 17grn hornady and they expand nicely, head and shoulder shots kept the carcasses useable. Does anyone else use a 3rd eye tactical matrix moderator ? i have one and they work very well and are nicley made in the UK.

.17hmr is a good little caliber but seems to have taken a bit of a down turn in popularity latley due to its ability to take down foxes but as long as your not stupid with it and remember it isnt a centre fire it will do the job on foxes just fine

The inconsistency on ammo batch quality and accuracy has also made it drop down the charts quite a bit.

several of my mates are having a nightmare of a time with their latest batch, very poor accuracy, misfires and hang fires! Nightmare,

I sold mine and got a .22 Hornet, equally as we'll moderated, same cost when hand loaded and 3 times the performance. And it will flatter foxes out to 200 yards with well placed shots!

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    The inconsistency on ammo batch quality and accuracy has also made it drop down the charts quite a bit.

several of my mates are having a nightmare of a time with their latest batch, very poor accuracy, misfires and hang fires! Nightmare,

I sold mine and got a .22 Hornet, equally as we'll moderated, same cost when hand loaded and 3 times the performance. And it will flatter foxes out to 200 yards with well placed shots!

Steve.
    Now your talking, the Hornet is a fox round. The .17hmr isn't and never was intended as a fox round. The Hornet is as you say cheaper to shoot also.

243fallow I think you have opened the floodgates mate. I know numerous shooters who have .17hmr rifles and every one of them has a totally different opinion on the cleaning regime. My one mate has a Sako and swears that his will only really shoot when the barrel is clean and that he needs to clean it after twenty or so rounds. Another mate has a CZ and claims that when he cleans it, it goes off the boil. Then others just complain about the ammo and blame that or alternate about how to clean it.
    Me I'm just glad I missed out on the .17 fad but I have to admit that when they are shooting right they are jolly good for reducing the bunny and crow population.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Had one (an Annie) and loved it.Never cleaned the bore and it was fine accounting for a lot of hares, corvids and a few sensible foxes.
    That was 6-ish years ago now and I'm using my .222 for exactly the same purpose.
    Would I go back to one now?I really don't know but the more I read about ammo problems the less it seems likely

I had 22rf for over 20 years so thought it might be time for a change and i agree with the posts, for me its a vermin rifle and thats all i expect of it. I have had no issues with the hornady ammo as yet but ive not used it in industrial quantity's yet so time will tell. I would be interested to know how much a home loaded hornet round works out at as at the moment the 17hmr works out at 23p a pop. I reload 270 and that works out cheaper than factory as we all know.

Just had a quick look at Hannam's reloading, usually find them pretty middle of the road price wise.

22 hornet factory ammunition 35gn v-max 23.80 / 25

home loaded hornet:

Bullet 35gn v-max 25.90 / 100 = 25.9 pence / round
    (already more expensive than 17 HMR factory)

powder, say 10 grains. 15,432grains / kg = 1543 charges / kg. VVN110 @ 76.47 / kg = 4.95 pence / round

primers CCI400 @ 55.35 / 1000 = 5.5 pence / round

brass (listed at Sportsman GC at 37 / 100 or 37pence each. assume 5 loads from each (because you will lose a bit at night) = 7.4 pence / round

total cost 43.75 pence per round assuming you have got all the necessary tools and so on already.

I'm sure you can get the components for a bit less money elsewhere and you might get a few more loads out of the brass but that's list prices and most will pay that or something so close that it will make practically no difference to the final sum. Reloading hornet is nearly double the price of buying .17HMR factory.

Wingers you and I must be shopping differently (yes I realise you are quoting Tim Hannam) because I am loading .308 for not much more than the amount you calculate. My .223 reloads work out at around 23 a hundred and my .308 loads at roughly 50:100. I have certainly never paid anything like 55 per thou for primers.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for the maths wingers i did wonder how it would be possible to reload 22 hornet cheaper than factory rimfire ammo. I can see the idea of bespoke ammo though. Think i"ll stick to the 110grn vmaxs for the serious foxing though.