Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: larsens and crows

larsens and crows

I have had real success with the magpies and I am now phasing my traps on to crows. I have caught 5 so far, they are definately trickier.

My question is this;

the crows are paired up now and by placing the trap near the nest you get a better result but if you get one of the pair would you leave the caught one in for the rest of the day to try and get the other or take it out?

If you leave a trapped bird other than your decoy bird I would be very tempted to give it access to water and maybe a drop of food as larsens are really coming under some serious scrutiny at the moment in many places.

thats right enough , I like to use another crow as a decoy and put the trap right under the nest

Take it out if you can do so without the other crow seeing you. More chance of getting the other one and often, the fighting between the decoy crow and the caught one will be enough to trip the door on the one spare compartment and you end up going back and seeing the other half of the pair perched on top! (Always take your rifle and put your Larsens in areas with safe backstops )

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    Take it out if you can do so without the other crow seeing you. More chance of getting the other one and often, the fighting between the decoy crow and the caught one will be enough to trip the door on the one spare compartment and you end up going back and seeing the other half of the pair perched on top! (Always take your rifle and put your Larsens in areas with safe backstops )
    It's always best to take some sort of gun with you when checking traps if you can.It can be amazing what you drop on

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    leave it in , doug
    Leave it in there is no better decoy than ones pair ,

Got a tip ( I don't know if any of you have covered this ) when trying to catch crows without decoys,

Rooks : best way to attract rooks is sheep feed and place you cage/Larsen close to the feeding grounds of the farmers sheep or cattle, rooks love easy pickings and wont attract to carrion,

Carrion : if it is flocking carrion ( meaning more than two to three pairs ) then gutted bait is better , they will go for just a random dead rabbit thrown un presented but they do like it to be presented more, full gut taken out and spread with flesh showing always works best for me.

Hoodies/non flocking Carrion : Keep guts in the rabbit they will also take just any old carcass that is rotting and smelling, found with hoodies in the cage trap the smellier the better , not so bloody pleasant on a warm day when removing them from the cage as it reeks and makes you close to vomit but it does the trick

you will probably get a lot on here that may agree or disagree but everything is worth a shot and for me atleast this method works

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    It's always best to take some sort of gun with you when checking traps if you can.It can be amazing what you drop on
    had a fox in a hoodie cage before , ate all the bloody bait

Never caught one but had them do the chicken wire to get to the call bird.
    Caught a Red Setter in one once though!

couple of good points there. Hadnt thought about the other bird watching me. I do always carry a gun and do pick up some bonus pickings. I have caught a big cub in the larson before now