Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full of myself.

Full of myself.

To some of you this is going to seem silly, but I am really proud of myself. I am no mechanic. I hate working on autos and see it as a necessary evil... and usually if a job is too complicated I hire someone.

The last week of evenings I have spent installing a new timing chain and guides on my 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup. (Hilux to you guys) When I bought it there was an audible timing chain rattle that ultimately turned out to be the chain tensioner having gone tits up. I've had the parts for a few months but needed above freezing temps to induce me to start.

I've finally I got it done. I replaced the chain, sprockets, timing chain guides (with steel ones) chain tensioner, the timing chain cover (new) the oil pump, the water pump all the hoses and the belt. Replaced the distributor cap and rotor and plug wires as well. Today I adjusted the valves and double checked the timing. All is good so far: No leaks. No problems after 4o miles of driving.

Like I said, to the more mechanically inclined this is nothing. For me? It was a big deal! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    To some of you this is going to seem silly, but I am really proud of myself. I am no mechanic. I hate working on autos and see it as a necessary evil... and usually if a job is too complicated I hire someone.

The last week of evenings I have spent installing a new timing chain and guides on my 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup. (Hilux to you guys) When I bought it there was an audible timing chain rattle that ultimately turned out to be the chain tensioner having gone tits up. I've had the parts for a few months but needed above freezing temps to induce me to start.

I've finally I got it done. I replaced the chain, sprockets, timing chain guides (with steel ones) chain tensioner, the timing chain cover (new) the oil pump, the water pump all the hoses and the belt. Replaced the distributor cap and rotor and plug wires as well. Today I adjusted the valves and double checked the timing. All is good so far: No leaks. No problems after 4o miles of driving.

Like I said, to the more mechanically inclined this is nothing. For me? It was a big deal! ~Muir
    I can't help but lament at the deals you may have missed down at the gun store while you were playing grease monkey!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Nearly as satisfying as getting a difficult rifle to shoot!
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

another taliwagon hits the roads again!

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Yup. That looks like mine, too. Right down to the rust slots on the back!
    While I would love to have mine a diesel, the 22R gasoline engine that is in it now is reputed to be tough as nails. There is a You Tube vid of a a fellow down in the US south taking a stock truck off of a used car lot and running a mud bog race. He loses the alternator belt, then a piston, gets out of the bog he is in, enters another deep bog, drops a second piston, pulls out and finishes the race on two cylinders. That's tough.~Muir

The best part about this thread is seeing an American go into print with the phrase "tits up". Must be talking to us Limeys too much, it's rubbing off on him.
    Well done with the truck though.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Fair play to you

im prety competent around cars and machinery i used to do mechanics and im now an engineer

but to be fair i wouldnt have tackled that little lot id have got someone else to do it as if they get it wrong its there fault lol

Well done Muir, as you said not a big deal to a mechanic, but a challenge for most DIY'ers, and not a pleasant job
    for the full timer who is used to a heated workshop with a ramp, I used to do it for a living, these days I pay someone. Lol

Neil.

Thanks guys! I have 200 miles on the rework and no drips or funny sounds from under the hood. Now a seal on the transfer case output shaft, shock absorbers, and a new ignition switch and lock/tumbler assembly. That will be Saturday. I've been driving it to work the last few days: Had two offers to buy it already! (Rust holes, dents and all. ) ~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 04-04-2014 at 04:07.

More auto mechanics buy a rank amateur on the Toyota. Did the shock absorbers, the ignition switch and tumblers (not pleasant) but not the output shaft seal. When i looked at the area originally there was remnant of a oily/greasy sludge on the undeside of the chassis and body. This weekend i could see that whatever caused it was not coming from the output shaft as I'd originally guessed. A check of the transfer case levels (and transmission levels) showed them topped off. I thought it might be brake fluid from the lines passing through the area but the levels are full as they have always been. I am confused but driving the truck regardless. My guess is that it's sludge from an overzealous greasing of the zerks on the universal joints. Any thoughts anybody?~Muir

PS: The truck seems to be running fine.