FC Leases

Big Yan

How many of ya have recieved the 25 leases that are available from the FC and whos tendering?.

They are after level two from everyone, considering theres only 2970 PASSED there level two i think they will struggle to fill these don't you?

HI BY,

Some small lots up this year, im going to have a look at a few in D&G later this month when thay (FC) can arrange it all, possible just as a buffer to the main areas i have in the Borders.
How about you?

If you have FC leases then you will know this but they work on a points system, L2 mandatory, then points for a dog, 4x4, chainsaw cert, manual handling cert, first aid, quad etc etc.

The lease holder has to be L2 with everybody else working toward that within the lease year. I know of a fairly local beat where the lease was recinded as the other members didnt achieve L2 and the lease holder could'nd possible achieve hill cull target. Harsh!!!

If possible keep away from FC all together you are only paying to walk in a desert. You can get much more value for money else were.

Dearstalker2010, hit the nail on the head ;) some forestry leases have had the C//p shot out of them before they release them back onto the market.

The prices they command are normally top side and the returns can be small. I wouldnt say everyone is like this but I would be careful about putting money down and I would recommend you view the area up for lease and take a look at access and how many deer are present before parting with hard earned cash.

Sikamalc

hi if you look through leases and descriptions there are a lot of very small cull figures which they want top dolar for .i personally think that in between agreeing the lease and getting the lease the fc shoot the land day and night .they want there cake at both ends venison and money
atb tom

If you want to pay top dollar for a walk in the woods have at it.

While you are sleeping the FC rangers (who are on a bonus scheme) are lamping your patch.

I went out with a ranger to view a patch near me £3000 plus VAT and he had taken 15 roe off with the lamp inthe previous week.

Plenty more where they came from was his argument.

I did not bid.

If we all told the FC where to go they would have to rethink.

I Agree

I think that the FC will come unstuck very soon as they are requesting that everyone is Level two considering there is only 2500 people with this I reckon there time is up.

I`ve had the latest leases sent through and to be honest they won`t be getting an offer out of me. Looking through them they are wanting top dollar for few deer numbers. :mad:

Me and armo used to be in a syndicate on the pilot hill forest near Straiton, and to be fair it was pretty good ground and i did have my fair share of deer off there in the year that i was in it.

I once put an offer in for Sika in the Borders and that place went balistic with stupid offers being put in. It was only about 600 acres and i had in on good authority by the Borders Chief ranger that he had offers in excess of £6000 for the place, but wasn`t necessarily going to take the highest offer, yeah right. :eek:

The best thing would be that nobody put offers in, maybe this might make them think they are asking too much money and expecting people to jump through too many hoops to get ground.

Rant over. :p

wadas

wadas
i looked at the ground you where in and saw red as well as roe how did you get on there,as for the leases avalable now i have seen quiet a few in the past and the cull numbers have been reduced but the price is up,i'm not sure why so many are up at once,however i have a lease and i have no issue's with price,cull figures and getting a straight answer to my questions, you take your chance
amberdog
ps the sika ground nr stobo i heard went for over 7k thats wat has been banded around

big business

Deer stalking is big business.

now i know a few on here do it for a living and I am not wanting to rock the boat but...

if i paid £6000 for a lease and brought over some danish clients for roe bucks for say 3 weeks in july and some more in october for red, fallow or sika. it would not take long to get my dosh back.

leaving the rest of the year for making money or stalking for fun.

Amberdog said:
wadas
i looked at the ground you where in and saw red as well as roe how did you get on there,as for the leases avalable now i have seen quiet a few in the past and the cull numbers have been reduced but the price is up,i'm not sure why so many are up at once,however i have a lease and i have no issue's with price,cull figures and getting a straight answer to my questions, you take your chance
amberdog
ps the sika ground nr stobo i heard went for over 7k thats wat has been banded around

Hello Amberdog,

Yes your right, there is red on there but i only saw a hind and calf, and that was down in the bottom where there is a lot of open ground. Although the syndicate owner shot two big stags down there.

The best place i found on there was right up through it on the road that goes through t where there is a cattle grid. When you get to the cattle grid, park the car on the left in the pull in and go over through the gap between the trees on the right. Right over there is a big ravine with what was then pre thicket in the bottom which boundries the neighbours ground. You can sit at the top of that ravine and wait for deer to come out, its a great vantage point for which i had quite a few from there. I don`t think the other members went down there much as it`s quite a walk.

If i were to be interested in any, that would be the one, but thats only cos i know it.
This was in about 2003, so things will have changed.
The only drawback for me was the fact that there is a road what runs through it, but the ranger there was a mate called Ian White, who lived in Straiton and he kept a look out on there.

I went to look at that Sika ground, and it did look good, but not £7000 good. :eek:

ATB

wadas

hi i think there is a group of leases because when you read the information it looks like they used to be stalked by fc rangers; and ive heard that they are cutting back on all there overtime so they are probably leaving land without stalking cover'
atb tom

I too went to look at the ground near Stobo. If I remember correctly there were three areas. Two had returned Sika culls of 40 odd regular ages on avarage over the last three years and one was a Roe forest, The main bit of 600 acres bordered Stobo castle ground that has a commercial shoot. It was in their
( Stobo's) interest to get the lease and they were willing to put in a big bid. They were nowhere near the top bids. The day I looked at it was one of six viewing days and I had over 35 car loads of competition. In spite of the FC declaring that the successful person could not sublet or take out guests I recognised a few sporting agents in the crowd including one famous Dane and his keeper who run a big subletting franchise. Yes you are correct the place went for silly money, about £180 per animal as I worked it out. Also on the day I went we saw several horses riding through and a mountain biking track had beed created by enthusiasts at the forest gates. This put me off looking at FC ground. David

Re: big business

308boy said:
Deer stalking is big business.

now i know a few on here do it for a living and I am not wanting to rock the boat but...

if i paid £6000 for a lease and brought over some danish clients for roe bucks for say 3 weeks in july and some more in october for red, fallow or sika. it would not take long to get my dosh back.

leaving the rest of the year for making money or stalking for fun.

Just out of interest are these Danes level 2 holders are are they exenpt??

Nell

Tom,
All FC land must be put out to tender after 4 years regardless.

It is to give others a chance to obtain the lease and so it is not a closed shop.

reality is the guy who leases it needs to be a complete plonker ot lose it unless he wants to.
Like i said before i went out with the ranger and i new who had the lease at that time as it is local to me. He retained it no problem despite over 12 interested parties being interviewed.

tom reveley said:
hi i think there is a group of leases because when you read the information it looks like they used to be stalked by fc rangers; and ive heard that they are cutting back on all there overtime so they are probably leaving land without stalking cover'
atb tom

308 Boy dose that mean i will be able to tender for Aran as i am sure there lease must be ready for a new owner. Any one know what price BASC pays the scottish forestry commission for it.
This one will not go away as BASC AND THE DCS are so close that its scary Before any one asks what relation they have with the FC the answer is they are full partners. ;)

Deerstalker2010 said:
This one will not go away as BASC AND THE DCS are so close that its scary Before any one asks what relation they have with the FC the answer is they are full partners. ;)

i agree this won't go away
but sometimes it helps to hav friends in the right places
don't agree with everything BASC do, but they are a businees and this is a business oppurtunity
to change that you need to do the same, not gripe about it
then the favours may come your way ;)

Leases

I agree the money that the FC are asking for is stupid & i feel that people should refuse to tender for these i currently have one of the leases & have had this for the past two yrs. I will NOT be re tendering for it. It has a few deer knocking about on it and I don.t think i have visited it and not seen deer. Is there anyone out there that is tendering for any of them. I visited and looked at the Sika land several yrs ago and i was offered the land but declined it as the tender price was massive. I am moving away from the FC stalking leases as i also contract for them and I know the state of mind as far as seeing deer on any FC land. Private forestry is the way forward.

Back