Vhit 140 any use for 150 or 180 grain bullet

Yes a very versatile powder that is used with many cartridges that have those bullet weights and heavier.

The heaviest bullet that I have used it for so far is 250 grain and the lightest 130 grain, obviously in different calibres so you will need to be a bit more specific.

Last edited:
i use h4895 as a rule, but i always keep a pot of 140 held back just in case , most cal's seem to like it and its nr varget in the burn chart. good all rounder.

Not 30-06 but 8x57 which is similar, very good and accurate with both light and heavy (200 grn) bullets.

I use n140 in everything. So that's .223, .22-250, 243, 308 and 375 h&h. It goes bang very nicely and deer fall over... having said that tr140 is 20 quid cheaper per kg than the vit so will go bang with ka-ching cashback....

hi feller out interest for me and maybe others did you mpi change and what say was the powder amount differents per case like as to the v140 like .
atvb
paul o'

I use n140 in everything. So that's .223, .22-250, 243, 308 and 375 h&h. It goes bang very nicely and deer fall over... having said that tr140 is 20 quid cheaper per kg than the vit so will go bang with ka-ching cashback....

tr140 swapped in place of n140 makes no difference using moderate charges at the same charge weights. Certainly wouldn't advice anyone to do a straight swap as loads work up towards higher end and maximums, either go with specific load data for that powder or work up.

Like I said, at moderate 'sensible' charges there is no measurable difference. Pro target shooters would jump in and say otherwise but for fur bashing in the real world with every day factory rifles you couldn't tell apart from change in your pocket.

nice one thanks feller i will try it out it can do no harm to have it in stock as a back up.:tiphat:

tr140 swapped in place of n140 makes no difference using moderate charges at the same charge weights. Certainly wouldn't advice anyone to do a straight swap as loads work up towards higher end and maximums, either go with specific load data for that powder or work up.

Like I said, at moderate 'sensible' charges there is no measurable difference. Pro target shooters would jump in and say otherwise but for fur bashing in the real world with every day factory rifles you couldn't tell apart from change in your pocket.

Ach, your just a mean Scotsman.:-|
Funnily enough I've been doing the same for the last couple of years, and when I go up to Bisley again I will re-stocking with TR140. I do find TR140 just ever so slightly slower than N140 though.

I use 140 to launch 150 Nosler BTs from my sauer. Keyholes every time. Also use it in my 243 and 6.5. Very versatile powder.

Use it for 150gr Sierra pro-hunters in my .30-06 Sako 85 and very pleased. Very accurate and doing about 2850 fps

Back