opti height

AN DU RU FOX

just a quick one please if i decide to fit optilok rings and bases to a rifle can someone tell me the height for them for a s/b 8x56 thanks in advance doug, edit sporter barrel tikka t3,

Last edited:
sorry dalua its a t3 sporter barrel, low/medium/high, i wouldnt think its high so?

Last edited:
sorry dalua its a t3 sporter barrel, low/medium/high, i wouldnt think its high so?

That's helpful! I have my father's T3 sporter on my ticket. When I use it, I fit a S&B 8x56 1" in place of his 'scope.
Although he's got the rifle at the moment, I've just fished the 'scope out of the cupboard and measured: it is on 1" medium Optilock rings, which give enough clearance for Butler Creeks also.

High Optilocks are very high!

dalua on the site richard said it reccomends lows for upto 56mm objectives in 1inch upto 60mm i think thats 30mm tube, dalua do the medium look? high or are they ok

Last edited:
Yup. I guess you might get away with lows, which would be neater.
With the mediums and the BC lens-cap I still have room to pass oily 4x2 over the barrel under the objective.

Best thing would probably be to try them and see how it goes. My S&B is an oldish model, the outside diameter of the objective end is ~63mm, and ~67mm with the Butler Creek on.

Your eye position at perfect cheekweld determines the correct ring height. Scope size shoud not be the deciding factor. You may find that you can only get optimum fit with a smaller scope. Thats why people use adjustable stocks, to get the right eye position. Tikka stock is quite low in the comb, i'd try lows or mediums unless you have a very fat face! Be prepared to change them if not right..

No probs, the amount of people out there with incorrecly set up rifles is shocking, mostly set up by rfd's just wanting to make a sale or bits bought from forums because they are cheap. Get the set-up set up right and youre half way there. Accuracy is everything, well almost everything..

i know thats why i am asking first it beggers belief how many times ive seen people putting scopes on in shop finger tight quick look through and away they go,

not sure if this helps, but i have a s&b 8x56 on my sako75 with medium mounts, theres plenty of clearance.

atb
simon

I use mediums with a 56 and 30mm tube but i think i could easily use lows
its in my todo list to try lows

if u have butler creeks u want a couple of mm gap ive got swarovski flip covers which dont make the objective any bigger than std as they use the shade thread so lows probably wont cause me any problems

Back