Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading advice please .

reloading advice please .

gents my local shops sells alliant powders ,im looking to reload once fired PPU and Federal brass .ive found a supplier of .168 grain bullets very cheap .which powder would you recommend im only using for deer so im not after bisley distances just a consistant load for deer out to 250 yds tops .as a novice all advice greatly received .there appears to be about 8 to choose from so what do u use n why sorry me bad its .308 winchester im looking to reload
    Last edited by tozzybum; 30-03-2014 at 20:02.

I presume you are using a 7mm of some description?

Probably reloader 15 would be my choice from Alliant

Cheap bullets often means inconsistent weights therefore poor accuracy...buyer beware. Remember its a live target requiring humane dispatch!!! Reloader 15 +1

I'm a bit concerned Tozzy. 168grn are usually target bullets. The expanding ones in that weight bracket are usually 165grn.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

il check with the supplier this is why im after advice ,harry i know i want expanding ,i asked for a price on expanding so if im being sold a pig in a poke i can give im directions on sex n travel ,thanks for the warning

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    I'm a bit concerned Tozzy. 168grn are usually target bullets. The expanding ones in that weight bracket are usually 165grn.
    +1 confused me too

i use 150 grain factory ammo n when i looked for these was offered 168 grain chocky thats why im asking advice .i have only reloaded 12g never bullets.now ive got .308 for deer im going to do my own but dont know nada about the loads bullet weights etc.thats why im asking u guys advice.my local shop does alliant powder ,these bullets were on the net ,when iasked bout 150,s got offered 168 not knowing is why i asked .now i know i need 165 grain and some no15 powder .trouble is we all have to start somewhere and im at the bottom of the ladder lookiing up.so any advice is great .not trying to confuse anyone just want to learn

I have heard of dealers doing similar before and then claiming to have been "confused" because it says on the box that the bullets are hollow points. Be aware that some target bullets are indeed hollow pointed, but the opening in the end is far too small to ensure any kind of expansion in animal tissue.
    How easy would it be for you to get down to Reloading solutions in Oxfordshire? The staff there are helpful and should be able to advise on what's suitable for different uses.
    The beauty of .308 is that there's components galore and it works well with just about any medium speed powder (reloader 15 being a good one). Any 150grn soft point bullet from any of the major manufacturers will be a good place to start. Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Nosler all make bloody good bullets in this weight
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    gents my local shops sells alliant powders ,im looking to reload once fired PPU and Federal brass .ive found a supplier of .168 grain bullets very cheap .which powder would you recommend im only using for deer so im not after bisley distances just a consistant load for deer out to 250 yds tops .as a novice all advice greatly received .there appears to be about 8 to choose from so what do u use n why sorry me bad its .308 winchester im looking to reload
    Tozzybum do you have a reloading manual? If the answer is No I would respectfully suggest that you get one and read up a bit first. A good manual will explain about powders and bullets and enable you to make choices suitable to your needs as not all are suitable to your needs.
    Last edited by 8x57; 31-03-2014 at 06:19.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.