Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forestry Commission

Forestry Commission

Was thinking.

The FC is a government body which means it should be answerable to the tax payers (you and I)

our biggest land owner is shafting us IMHO.

Is there a communication channel open to us with regard to the current methods of deer management and the associated costs?

If any one can shed some light I would appreciate it.

FOI

The FC being a government body, a Freedom of Information request is your best bet.

You can submit your request online and they have a legal obligation to provide an acknowledgement and response within specified time intervals. If they don't respond, their information officer can be imprisoned.

The best website I have come across for submitting FOI requests is:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com

If you use this site, you will receive email updates on the progress of your enquiry.

There have been 46 FOI requests made to the FC from this website, none related to deer:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/search.../bodies?page=1

FC

Not sure if that is my angle as i have to ask for specific documents.

My question is to reiterate

Why can a mountain biker travel to Glentress forest park and use the FC land all day everyday on facilities that were built specifically for them at considerable tax payers expense and yet when i stalked 30 miles up the road i had to pay to do so.

Different sport different rules.

I think I ned to get my MSP or MEP or MP or Local councilor to ask a parliamentary question on my behalf. They might be busy though on fact finding missions

OOPS

Right I have gone all DEERSTALKER2010 and started harrassing members of parliament.

No doubt i will get no where but feck it.

Extract of letter to rossana cunningham and similar was sent to jim murphy (My MP and MSP for the environment).

>>>>>>>>>>

This is a question on a very emotive subject and I am unsure of your position on this even though you are minister for the environment.

I would however value your views and response.

My chosen sport is shooting and in this instance deer stalking on Forestry Commission land which as we know is managed by the commission for the government of the day and therefore the tax payer.

My point is really not about my sport however, it is about it is about discrimination and inequality. The percieved view of shooting clouds the argument of course.

The overall point is this:

Why can a mountain biker travel to Glentress forest park and use the FC land all day everyday (on facilities that were built specifically for them at considerable tax payers expense) for free and yet when I stalked 30 miles up the road I had to pay vast sums to do so.

Different sport different rules but both on the same land with same landlord. Why the disparity in costs?

We have always done it this way is not an excuse and it is wrong. The leases bring in much needed income for the FC but so would the mountian bikers even if charged �2 per day, so it cannot be held up as a financial argument.

Now I appreciate with the firearms and public safety there is considerably more administration work required prior to allowing access for the FC but the sums being charged for stalking leases beggars belief.

Woodland stalking is not the elitist sport of the Victorian estates circa 1880 and I really think we are getting a raw deal.

I would like a parliamentary question on this subject raised. Can you advise me on how to proceed?

Well done dan,

ATB

Tahr

It is time we spoke up for our selves we have been stamped on for to long. Firearms aren't illegal and less die using them than with mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalker2010
    It is time we spoke up for our selves we have been stamped on for to long. Firearms aren't illegal and less die using them than with mountain bikes
    We had three serious accidents up here in Dumfrieshire with mountain bikes before Christmas, including one death.

ATB

Tahr

Someone recently asked the FC a question under FOI about the number of boar shot by FC rangers in the Forest of Dean and got a full answer. The FOI requires an answer within 21 days so no prevarication but you will only get the question you asked answered so careful phrasing is required.

The law is that if they have the information and there is no reason against the national interest or for reasons of commercial sensitivity (or similar) then it should be released. If there is a refusal there is the right of appeal to the Information Commissioner who can compel the release of the information.

JAK

Jack thanks for this but as fecking usual.....

"BASC response to consultation on The Long-term Role of the Public Forest Estate in England"

we have one or 2 FC forests up here in the land that BASC forgot. Oh and one or two of those deer thingies.

TYPICAL OF BASC to me , English forests only.

Why are they not the English Association of Shooting and Conservation???