Thread: Woodcock Shooting

Woodcock Shooting

I have a couple of vacancies for the coming season shooting on a walk & stand basis 5 saturdays over 2000 acres of mixed woodland and cover crops on the devon/somerset border @ 250 per gun, for the five days preference given to guns with working dogs, please contact me for more details.
    Last edited by woodland stalker; 28-05-2014 at 17:07.
    Walk little- look often .

Hi, I am interested in your offer. I have just bought an English Setter in France, with great pedigree in working Setters and my intention is to shoot woodcock walking after my setter, in the style hunt, point, retrieve. If you think there is room in your group for me, please let me know. I live in Exeter. Thanks. Jose

The format of these days have changed , and will now be Pheasant/ Woodcock days, they are very good value and i would welcome anyone to contact me to talk over the detail of the days and come and have a look around the estate to see whats on offer, i do not think you will be disapointed, w.s.
    Walk little- look often .

Quote Originally Posted by josetxo View Post
    Hi, I am interested in your offer. I have just bought an English Setter in France, with great pedigree in working Setters and my intention is to shoot woodcock walking after my setter, in the style hunt, point, retrieve. If you think there is room in your group for me, please let me know. I live in Exeter. Thanks. Jose
    On various woodcock shoots i have attended, the gundogs were less than well trained
    They dont need to be, the purpose is for them to put up birds to be shot, in a safe manner
    The are various spanels and labradors and riotus to boot.
    If you were to turn up with a setter, that you were hoping to train to HPR, it would be mayhem
    As your setter came on point the others would barge in and flush the cock, as for retriving the fastest one gets there first get to retrive it if not having it taken away by another dog. !!
    It would be a almost impossible to train a setter to point and retrive in these circumstances
    I suggest you would be better looking for people who only run HPR dogs
    Good luck with your new puppy
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Hello.
    Can you let me have dates please and location - hopefully your dates will not clash with shooting already organised.

Thanks - essbee

Thanks.
    yes you are right, I cant shoot mixed with spaniels etc...
    Just joined a rough shooting group, and will go on my own to start with until I find someone with dogs like mine
    thanks for your post

Quote Originally Posted by josetxo View Post
    Thanks.
    yes you are right, I cant shoot mixed with spaniels etc...
    Just joined a rough shooting group, and will go on my own to start with until I find someone with dogs like mine
    thanks for your post
    that sounds a good plan ,i work a english pointer and it dosnt take long for even a puffing old lab to suss out your dogs points and stop working for its self and take to bombing in on your dogs work as you close in on a point ,a world of diffrence to putting a dog in to flush