Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Rangefinder binoculars - Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss

  1. #1

    Rangefinder binoculars - Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss

    http://www.leica-shop.sk/SD_JP0313_Fernglaser.pdf

    Best, most scientific, review I've seen.

    Despite the fact the new Leica comes out on top, this is on the basis of better range finding functionality, so I'm going for the Swarovskis, which edge them on optical performance especially light gathering.

    For some reason the Leicas are £2700 in the UK with the Swarovskis coming in at £2225. In the US the Leicas are $2995 (£1800) while the Swarovskis are more expensive at $3179 (£1909).

    I'm in Austria in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if there is an opportunity to get them for a good price over there?

  2. #2
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    Thanks for posting the review.

    For many eye-relief will be the deciding factor in a choice between these three ; at 16mm the Zeiss would to too short for some.

    To get the best price in Austria you would need a girlfriend with an American passport !

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestman View Post
    http://www.leica-shop.sk/SD_JP0313_Fernglaser.pdf

    Best, most scientific, review I've seen.

    Despite the fact the new Leica comes out on top, this is on the basis of better range finding functionality, so I'm going for the Swarovskis, which edge them on optical performance especially light gathering.

    For some reason the Leicas are £2700 in the UK with the Swarovskis coming in at £2225. In the US the Leicas are $2995 (£1800) while the Swarovskis are more expensive at $3179 (£1909).

    I'm in Austria in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if there is an opportunity to get them for a good price over there?
    Now, call me old fashioned, but given the address of this URL, Leica coming out anything BUT top would have been a surprise!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  4. #4
    Interesting review, quite well balanced I thought.

    The only reason Leica won was because of the built-in ballistic program, otherwise the EL Range was ahead albeit not by much, especially in terms of light transmission.

    I know which feature is more important to me.

  5. #5
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Now, call me old fashioned, but given the address of this URL, Leica coming out anything BUT top would have been a surprise!
    Have a banana :

    The review was published by Jagdpraxis ... https://www.jagdpraxis.com/index.html ... "Im Bereich Jagdoptik arbeitet Jagdpraxis zusammen mit dem optischen Fachlabor der Georg-Simon-Ohm-Hochschule in Nürnberg unter Leitung von Prof. Dr. Hanskarl Treiber und kann somit die Tests exklusiv auf neutrale Ergebnisse stützen" ... and used by a Leica shop in SLOVAKIA as an onsite thriller ... http://www.leica-shop.sk/

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    Have a banana :

    The review was published by Jagdpraxis ... https://www.jagdpraxis.com/index.html ... "Im Bereich Jagdoptik arbeitet Jagdpraxis zusammen mit dem optischen Fachlabor der Georg-Simon-Ohm-Hochschule in Nürnberg unter Leitung von Prof. Dr. Hanskarl Treiber und kann somit die Tests exklusiv auf neutrale Ergebnisse stützen" ... and used by a Leica shop in SLOVAKIA as an onsite thriller ... http://www.leica-shop.sk/
    Fair point, and well presented Sir
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  7. #7
    I made my choice with the leicas. Granted, I didn't pay the 3 k asking price , but like them and the ballistic program. Now , I wish they would do the same test with scopes.



    Brooklands Holiday Apartments in North Yorkshire
    www.visitbrooklands.co.uk

    Find us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...71190506238710



  8. #8
    the weighting given to the ballistics program is too much IMO.

  9. #9
    just as a point of interest the swarovski rep at the british shooting show told me that the swarovski rangefinders did not have the latest swarovision coatings and could not match the twilight performance of the standard el's I was quite suprised at this as I've don't seem to remember anyone mentioning this before, maybe it interferes with the laser wavelength or maybe he was just talking bo*****s.

  10. #10
    Managed to get a look through both at Kelso on Sat, was very impressed by the new Leicas, eventually located the micro sd card slot in the battery compartment.

    I thought the Leicas were more ergonomic than the Swarvs.

    D

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Swarovski or Zeiss rangefinder or RF binoculars
    By Zeissman in forum Optics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 18:50
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 08:43
  3. *SOLD* Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica 8x42 Binoculars
    By kieran222 in forum Optics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 09:47
  4. For Sale Leica Geovid Rangefinder Binoculars 8 x 42
    By HME in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-09-2010, 21:26
  5. Zeiss Rangefinder Binoculars
    By golspie15 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-12-2009, 10:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •