Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 300 AAC or 300 Whisper

  1. #1

    300 AAC or 300 Whisper

    Has anyone tired either for Roe deer. I am not impressed with the volocities and not inclined to purchase one. Could be an option for my 11 y/o son but he is doing well enough with a 308 W.

    SS

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Has anyone tired either for Roe deer. I am not impressed with the volocities and not inclined to purchase one. Could be an option for my 11 y/o son but he is doing well enough with a 308 W.

    SS
    I know two guys who hunt with them and I have done extensive range work with a custom Savage in this chambering. Most recently with a Remington 700 which has given nothing but headaches with any bullet or speed. I'm not certain that even the lightest/fastest load is deer legal in the UK but i could be wrong.~Muir

  3. #3
    I've not messed with a Whisper or Blackout however I have wathced several others fooling with them at the range . Frankly I see no reason for the cartridge unless you wanna shoot subsonic with a suppressor . And to be totally honest if one wants to do that it isn't that difficult to get a 308 doing the same thing . I've fooled with no less then 4 rifles in 308 WIN that were threaded for suppressors . And with subsonic handloads they were all capable of MOA at 100 yards .

    So bottom line is they can both shoot subsonic well if one puts forth the effort , however with the Whisper/Blackout you are kinda stuck there or with a slightly faster full tilt load . With a 308 your choice of options is ALOT more varied . I don't ever see a Whisper/Blackout in my future but a 700 HB in 308 threaded for a suppressor is a much better possibility .

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I've not messed with a Whisper or Blackout however I have wathced several others fooling with them at the range . Frankly I see no reason for the cartridge unless you wanna shoot subsonic with a suppressor . And to be totally honest if one wants to do that it isn't that difficult to get a 308 doing the same thing . I've fooled with no less then 4 rifles in 308 WIN that were threaded for suppressors . And with subsonic handloads they were all capable of MOA at 100 yards .

    So bottom line is they can both shoot subsonic well if one puts forth the effort , however with the Whisper/Blackout you are kinda stuck there or with a slightly faster full tilt load . With a 308 your choice of options is ALOT more varied . I don't ever see a Whisper/Blackout in my future but a 700 HB in 308 threaded for a suppressor is a much better possibility .
    What weight bullets were you shooting subsonic in the 308? And what were the twist rates?
    The Whisper and Blackout will function in ARs. It is a small and efficient case that will deliver subsonic loads with a full case of powder which is something that would be difficult with a 308 shooting the same bullets at subsonic speeds. If you're shooting a 308 at Sub Sonic Speeds you are achieving the same results as the Whisper but in a much less efficient case. I mean, it seems that way to me.~Muir

    PS: I like the round and am considering having my CZ Varmint 204 rebarreled to that cartridge with a 1-7.5" twist.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    I am not impressed with the volocities a
    SS
    I thought the whole point of the 300Whisper was to chuck subsonic lead? (and therefore slowly)
    clue is in the name surely?

  6. #6
    As has already been stated, the Whisper was designed for subsonic loads run through a semi-auto rifle (AR specifically).

    Generally speaking the barrels are a 1-7ish twist, lobbing 220-240gr bullets.

    That being said, many hunters on the southern east coast use the Whisper/AAC for the smaller whitetail deer (~85lbs average, dressed), mainly because they are hunting in dense brush and want something (even at supersonic levels) that has a fairly low report. Some also use the cartridge in a single shot pistol for hunting.

    As stated, a very efficient cartridge, that shines in an AR, but limited in range when run subsonically.

    JMTCW...

    Edit: As an aside, long barrels with subsonic loads can be VERY bag sensitive. Enough to make you pull your hair out until you realize it.
    Last edited by MarinePMI; 01-04-2014 at 11:22.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I thought the whole point of the 300Whisper was to chuck subsonic lead? (and therefore slowly)
    clue is in the name surely?
    Remington's factory AAC load is (I believe) a 115 grain at 2400 fps but you're right, the intent was to shoot hi-rev heavy bullets. I used to shoot 220 grain cast @ 1040 fps.~Muir

  8. #8
    I was looking for more flexibility than just being able to "chuck subsonic lead". I can do that with a 45-70 and have significantly greater terminal performance at 100yds.

    SS

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    I was looking for more flexibility than just being able to "chuck subsonic lead". I can do that with a 45-70 and have significantly greater terminal performance at 100yds.

    SS
    Probably. But the 30 Whisper -like the 338 Lapua- is a specialty cartridge designed for one one purpose and now being adapted to other uses. From the very start you've voiced a dislike for the 300AAC as well as the disinclination to own one. Makes me wonder why you even brought it up. Have you ever shot one? They are an interesting study in ballistics.~Muir

  10. #10
    A friend built one for suburban deer hunting on a 65 acre patch between two areas with some housing. Just put a barrel on his Thompson single shot. We worked up loads of 200, 220 and 240-gr at about 980 fps. They all killed deer in their tracks at 25 to 65 yards, but no expansion, of course. Very accurate and you could not hear it from much distance with the trees and underbrush.

    I think it would be easy same sort of loads in one of my .308s and a .30-06 using Trail Boss, SR-4759, or 5744. It might not get down to subsonic.
    Last edited by Southern; 02-04-2014 at 18:49.

Similar Threads

  1. 300
    By deerstalker39 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 14:49
  2. Anyone using 300 AAC Blackout?
    By Tommy Kaira in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 22:26
  3. .300 r.u.m
    By N.F.W.M in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 18:42
  4. Wanted binos for under 300
    By charlie 1 in forum Optics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 19:12
  5. .300 r.u.m
    By N.F.W.M in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-08-2011, 01:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •