Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you include Deer Stalking in your CV / professional profile

Would you include Deer Stalking in your CV / professional profile

Updating CV and working in professional services, but not wildlife / shooting related, so would you put shooting and deer stalking, including DSC2 as part of your interests. I have mixed views and would rather people focus on what I do rather than letting their own prejudices come to the fore. Put it another way if I see somebody who puts interests as Golf I draw other conclusions!

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Updating CV and working in professional services, but not wildlife / shooting related, so would you put shooting and deer stalking, including DSC2 as part of your interests. I have mixed views and would rather people focus on what I do rather than letting their own prejudices come to the fore. Put it another way if I see somebody who puts interests as Golf I draw other conclusions!
    Unless it has some relevance to your work leave it out, or perhaps describe your interests as "wildlife and countryside". You can always enlighten people once you get to know them better.

atb Tim

I have enjoying the countryside on my CV

Depends if it's relevant to the job or not surely.....? I have it on my cv but will remove it if I feel it might be a disadvantage for certain jobs.....
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 01-04-2014 at 07:34.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

like has just been said... outdoor and country sports. Too many people would hold it against you because of ignorance...

Having gone through the job-seeking hoopla fairly recently, I can give my input from a couple of perspectives - mine, and various recruitment agencies....

It can be seen as a pastime which can polarise opinion at either end of a spectrum, and a few agencies advised that it may be prudent to omit it as personal views from the reader of the CV could stop things in their tracks - even an Administrator with an anti perspective could slide an application into the bin before it got anywhere near a decision-maker, for example. Conversely, it is a less common pursuit than, say, golf/football, and could stimulate some intersting discussion and potentially make you more memorable as a candidate.

So what did I do?

I left it on.

My view was that I'm not ashamed of what I do, shooting and stalking are a fundamental part of who I am; take me as I am, or not at all. (And I am working in a Senior Management role - not sitting at home watching 'Bargain Hunt' and 'Flog it' thanks to having had my pastimes listed.....!!)

I'd say it is a personal decision, and can be adjusted along the way dependent upon circumstances. Always easy to be wise after the event (...got a PHd in that....), but if i had struggled to find a suitable position over time, I may well have considered adjusting it to something a little less overt simply down to the imperative of paying the mortgage and feeding the kids.
    Last edited by merlin; 01-04-2014 at 07:42.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I'd leave it out and follow the counsel of others and merely cite interests as 'Wildlife and Countryside'.

Unless it's directly relevant to the sector you operate within then I'd tend, just as a matter of course, to leave out anything that was not immediately going to grab the attention - in the most positive.

FN

As someone who's done a lot of recruiting in the engineering industry I would say categorically leave it out! In fact, leave out all pastimes stuff. For every recruiter who likes golf / football / enjoying the countryside, there will be someone who hates golf / football / enjoying the countryside, and when you've got a pile of 40 CVs to narrow down, the little things make a difference. I once binned a CV for an engineer as he listed his hobbies as fashion and mobiles!! Get to the interview before you bring up interests ...

Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    As someone who's done a lot of recruiting in the engineering industry I would say categorically leave it out! In fact, leave out all pastimes stuff. For every recruiter who likes golf / football / enjoying the countryside, there will be someone who hates golf / football / enjoying the countryside, and when you've got a pile of 40 CVs to narrow down, the little things make a difference. I once binned a CV for an engineer as he listed his hobbies as fashion and mobiles!! Get to the interview before you bring up interests ...
    It's not easy to leave everything out. On most application forms there's a question asking for your leisure interests/hobbies. Leaving that blank I would suggest is probably a good way to get dumped at the paper sift stage.

So perhaps the answer is to keep it plain and simple. Outdoor activities, walking, reading, stuff that is most likely not to cause offence or polarise people. As opposed to Bambi killer, fox despatcher, pheasant plucker or Man United supporter, all of which will see your application ritually burnt in the firm car park to the strains of Queen's greatest hits.

When in doubt, leave it out.

A good motto for cv's, internet posts, texts, emails....and the dreaded facebook.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"