Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer Fox Pelts

Designer Fox Pelts

Beyond the unlikely scenario that Government introduce a fox bounty, what might we do to make fox pelts of some value again?

I'm thinking more along the lines of what ideas are out there for making the skins, in part or whole, attractive to the public.

Their future is in our hands.

K

Assuming this isn't an April Fools post I was thinking something very similar last week after shooting a young dog Fox whose fur was particularly nice and luxurious and decided it was a waste to do nothing with but didn't have the skill or gear to tan at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Beyond the unlikely scenario that Government introduce a fox bounty, what might we do to make fox pelts of some value again?

I'm thinking more along the lines of what ideas are out there for making the skins, in part or whole, attractive to the public.

Their future is in our hands.

K

About 35-40 years ago, we used to get about 40 for a decent snared or head shot Red fox pelt! We used to freeze them and then post them to a place in Somerset if I remember right. I'm not sure what that would equate to in todays money, but it was a hell of a lot back then! At those rates, it would probably be more lucrative to shoot foxes than deer!
    MS

I have had a look but can't find anywhere that will tan hides in small batches. I don't know if any taxidermists would do it if you sent a few at a time.

When I first started shooting foxes and selling the pelts, one good pelt was the same as a week's pay. Two or three a week and I was rich! It was a fellow called Cobbledick we used to sell them to, frozen or dried.

Can't think of any use for them now

Al

designer fox pelts

The antis put an end to the sale of wild pelts and firms like Cobbledicks and Horace Friend would no longer take them. I lived on the proceeds of fox and rabbit skins for several years until the ban on their sales stopped it. The best price we ever made for full winter pelts was 25 that was a lot of money back then.
    It always strikes me as ridiculous that today, perfectly good pelts have to be dumped, the loss of the sale of their skins never stopped foxes being killed which was the whole idea in the first place.
    In those days we didn't have deep freezes so they were all air dried!
    Last edited by old keeper; 01-04-2014 at 10:47. Reason: a second thought

No. This isn't an April 1st wind-up or I would have suggested fox pelt lampshades!

Presentation of the product - I use the world with good reason - needs radical thinking, no little luck and above all attainment of must-have status.

How about Woodlore (Ray Mears) fox fur trimmed Hunter wellingtons for the ultimate in Bushcraft rambling chic?? Might even be two grades as in those trimmed with Premium rural fox fur and that from the lesser McDonald's chomping variety for the Notting Hill and Hampstead set. Each pair to come with a certificate of assurance that they've been harvested from sustainable stock and humanely culled.

Well, its a start but I'd need to move on from my paraffin and bicarbonate of soda curing process.

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 01-04-2014 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    How about Woodlore (Ray Mears) fox fur trimmed Hunter wellingtons for the ultimate in Bushcraft rambling sheik??

K
    I do hope you meant 'chic'...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I do hope you meant 'chic'...

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Agreed,there is a quid to be made and while we have a poxy little ten buck bounty here we will never get back to the figures of dead foxes when they were bringing 3-4 times that for furs.

Heres one ready for a lead bait.

"you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ