Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An eventful day on the 1st.

An eventful day on the 1st.

Well I set my alarm for 5.30am and, in spite of the pouringrain, dragged my frame out of bed and out the door. I decided to visit the ground with the mystery deformed roe deer.
    As I got nearer the ground the rain got heavier and heavier but the forecast was for it to stop between 7 and 8 so I decided this could be ideal as the deer should start moving as the rain stopped.

I took a slow walk along the end of the wood and then sat against a tree for 30 minutes. At least I got less wet that way. The rain then started to ease so I gave it another 10 minutes and then went to look onto the wheat field that the roe had been on. Nothing!
    I then glassed across the net field to the next wood and could see a roe feeding on the wood edge. Using a thick hedge as cover I got to 150 m and could see a doe feeding and what looked like my malformed animal just inside the wood. They both jumped as another deer approached. This was another doe and they both fed together and into the hedge and towards me.

After about 10 mins the other deer emerged. Its gait was very strange and it clearly had a leg missing. I took the shot. It was a doe but I decided it was for the best as at distance I could not tell how bad the wound was.

To be honest I have never seen a 3 legged roe (plenty of fallow) and I have never seen any deer that has lost a leg so high up. I can only assume this was the deer I saw the other day as she fed on her knee and moved very low to the ground. Time will tell I guess.

Next I took a slow walk along the wood edge and after about 400m there was my 1st buck of the season grazing on a bank. 210m but prone and with a nice rising backstop. He jumped to the shot and fell forward, moving no more. He is quite a nice head, very upright with a very dangerous looking spike on one side. Also starting to moult.

As I commenced the gralloch I noticed that his lungs were stuck to his chest on one side.

Other than that his lungs were fine. I then realised I couldn’t get my knife through his ribs. When I got home I struggled with a saw. His breast bone is about an inch thick so I guess he’s been tapped by a car at somepoint.

Then finally I noticed this on his kidney;

All his glands were fine. I have pictures of his good lung condition and unswollen glands but I thought you would take my word for it.

So all in all a good mornings work. I also suspect that the landowners decision to have the roe thinned out is a good one as I have taken 4 so far and 3 of them have had abnormalities!!

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Well I set my alarm for 5.30am and, in spite of the pouringrain, dragged my frame out of bed and out the door. I decided to visit the ground with the mystery deformed roe deer.
    As I got nearer the ground the rain got heavier and heavier but the forecast was for it to stop between 7 and 8 so I decided this could be ideal as the deer should start moving as the rain stopped.

I took a slow walk along the end of the wood and then sat against a tree for 30 minutes. At least I got less wet that way. The rain then started to ease so I gave it another 10 minutes and then went to look onto the wheat field that the roe had been on. Nothing!
    I then glassed across the net field to the next wood and could see a roe feeding on the wood edge. Using a thick hedge as cover I got to 150 m and could see a doe feeding and what looked like my malformed animal just inside the wood. They both jumped as another deer approached. This was another doe and they both fed together and into the hedge and towards me.

After about 10 mins the other deer emerged. Its gait was very strange and it clearly had a leg missing. I took the shot. It was a doe but I decided it was for the best as at distance I could not tell how bad the wound was.

To be honest I have never seen a 3 legged roe (plenty of fallow) and I have never seen any deer that has lost a leg so high up. I can only assume this was the deer I saw the other day as she fed on her knee and moved very low to the ground. Time will tell I guess.

Next I took a slow walk along the wood edge and after about 400m there was my 1st buck of the season grazing on a bank. 210m but prone and with a nice rising backstop. He jumped to the shot and fell forward, moving no more. He is quite a nice head, very upright with a very dangerous looking spike on one side. Also starting to moult.

As I commenced the gralloch I noticed that his lungs were stuck to his chest on one side.

Other than that his lungs were fine. I then realised I couldn’t get my knife through his ribs. When I got home I struggled with a saw. His breast bone is about an inch thick so I guess he’s been tapped by a car at somepoint.

Then finally I noticed this on his kidney;

All his glands were fine. I have pictures of his good lung condition and unswollen glands but I thought you would take my word for it.

So all in all a good mornings work. I also suspect that the landowners decision to have the roe thinned out is a good one as I have taken 4 so far and 3 of them have had abnormalities!!
    Good write up but I like to see gloves when do work like that just my thoughts
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

Well done, a great morning's stalk! A kindness to remove the doe. What sort of condition was she in? I have seen three legged fallow that were in surprisingly good condition.

That's some morning!! Looks like you've got some accident prone animals on that piece of land. Any Idea what was n the Buck's kidney?

She was in moderate nick. Looked worse for moulting but she had rubbed quite a bit of fur off her underside and she wasnt pregnant. I will weigh her later as I am curious about her weight.

As regards gloves I agree but often forget to take them!! Although to be fair I think they are past catching anything off me!!

the kidney had a hole in it basically. Looked healed up but would guess a burst abscess

Good write up mate thanks it certainly was different!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

excellent morning out and very productive... iv been clock watching all day cant wait to finish

just a question about taking the doe ... is it a Gray area taking a deer out of season, i mean how do you stand with the law is it legal to take a injured deer out if you feel its right...

Its a fair question and I believe there is no offence to take the injured animal. I will take my chances this close to the end of the season when there is clearly such an obvious injury (the implication being she couldnt have young tucked away somewhere. I couldnt tell if the injury was fresh/infected/birth defect and would have been very unhappy with myself if I had left her and found her dead in the coming weeks. I had that with a fallow pricket that wobbled toward me in a pheasant drive. It was plainly very ill but I bottled shooting it with the shotgun with people watching. I went back twice to try and find it and couldnt. Less than 2 weeks later it was laid dead in the valley bottom.

I have taken a couple of others over the years when they were plainly ill or injured.

Humane Dispatch
    [s.6 Deer Act , s.3 SI 2183]
    For the purposes of preventing suffering, an injured
    or diseased deer may be taken or killed out-ofseason
    or at night. A person may use any reasonable
    means to kill a deer if it is reasonably believed that
    the deer has been so seriously injured, otherwise
    than by his unlawful act, or is in such condition,
    that to kill it is an act of mercy.”

thought this was right. issue is you cant always tell how well its doing til after the shot and if you let em walk you can condemn them to sheer hell for weeks