What calibre do you use for Sika?

Glen of Imaal

As a result of the thread on the use of the .243 that is currently running, a question was posed as to whether many people use the .243 on Sika. I do myself. However out of interest, I'd like to ask people what calibre they use on Sika?

As a result of the thread on the use of the .243 that is currently running, a question was posed as to whether many people use the .243 on Sika. I do myself. However out of interest, I'd like to ask people what calibre they use on Sika?

260rem, 120gr NBT. Very effective. I went with the 260 specifically because I was not convinced by the 243 on Sika. My stalking buddy used a 243 on Sika for 4-5 years, with very mixed results in my opinion. He went the whole hog over to 30/06 last year. The 243 has not been out of the safe since.

The first two Sika I ever killed I used a Sako Hunter in 7mm-08 handloaded with the Nosler 140 BT and pushed with IMR4350 . Later I Killed one with a bow , then another with a Knight 50 cal Disc Rifle (muzzleloader) and then that same year I killed another with a 260 REM . After that I killed one with a Savage 12 gauge Model 210 rifled bolt action slug gun and the Winchester Partition Gold slug . Killed another with a Savage 10ML 50 cal muzzleloader shooting a Hornady 250 SST sabot bullet then that same year I killed two more with a Savage 220 20 gauge bolt action rifled slug gun shooting the Remington AccuTip sabots .

While I don't think a 12 gauge rifled slug gun is really necessary the area I was hunting didn't allow rifles , same when I used the 20 gauge . The ones killed with muzzle loaders were killed during muzzle loader season .

At the present my Sika arsenal consists of the same Knight 50 cal as well as a 45 cal for the ML season , for private land that rifles are okay my Remington 700 in 6.5-06 will be fine . On the refuge during gun season the Savage 220 20 gauge rifled bolt action slug gun will be fine . The only thing I would like to add would be a decent Barnett crossbow for the archery season .

7mm08 for all deer now had 243 6,5 303 and 308 3006 im happy with the 7mm now for everything deer and fox abd got my .22 for smaller stuff , still fancy a .303 again one day

.270 with 130g SP Norma ...... The .243 is a bit light IMO but saying that it wont make much difference using bigger calibres if the shot placement doesn't take out any of the organs, spin or head. Sika are one tough cookie

Have shot a large amount of Sika over the last 15 years with the .243 and have to say it is an exceptional round with the right bullet. I only use 100g Nosler Partitions in the .243 for Sika and Fallow bucks and 95g Ballistic Tips for Roe, Fallow and Munties. The partition does the job and would be the first choice of calibre should I be limited to one calibre for these species. Saying that however, I do carry the 30.06 nowadays when I'm looking for stags rutting time but its not done through lack of confidence in the .243 with the right bullet.

Back