Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air rifles?

air rifles?

Hey folks,

last air rifle I used was a red rider bb gun as a kid and a break barrel pellet rifle. FF to nowadays... Anyone use them to keep sharp without having to go to a range or countryside and make noise? If so, what is available in a style (size & weight) comparable to a normal hunting rifle (not them gawdy lookin target/sniper rifles with the thumb hole)that will reach out a ways (50+ yards?) and still pack a punch with some accuracy/consistency? At a reasonable price...Tips and links appreciated. I imagine anything you folks can get I can get here..

Thanks, Dave

Springer or PCP mate?

You'd need FAC levels for anything to be packing a punch past 50 yards, maybe a Theoben Fenman??

Stratts
    Last edited by stratts; 01-04-2014 at 20:41.
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Im sorry but the only ones can think of offhand are bsa meteor/or airsporter types or a bit more cash weirachs all good spring guns and will drop rabbits etc no problem they will be twelve ft pounds,not sure on any others its been a while,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Springer or PCP mate?

You'd need FAC levels for anything to be packing a punch past 50 yards, maybe a Theoben Fenman??

Stratts
    OK..... 50 yds was just a swag.... Just a straight shooting and consistent to a distance (what is a reasonable expectation?) that I can set up in the back yard and shoot (adjusting target size to simulate distances?)

Try and get your hands on a weihrauch 35, they are just about the right size and weight.
    Great gun, i'm sure you would have some great sport with it, and not to expensive secondhand.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

A gas ram HW sounds about right for what you want of an air rifle. Consistent power and no spring to rattle, which can affect accuracy.

I use an air arms s410 pcp, but for that I have an air cylinder to fill it up, or if your fit you can use a hand pump.

Alan

falcon Fn12
    wouldnt use it on anything live at 50yds though tbh

very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Springer or PCP mate?

Stratts
    If Daven's in Germany then I don't think they have the lower power limit that we Brits have - I'm prepared to be corrected on that!!
    2 options if you want something akin to firing a proper rifle with a kick then get the HW80 great gun and will knock a lot of pests over nae bother.
    If you want something light weight and not bothered about the kick then I'd go for the HW100.
    Either option in .20

Happy hunting.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Hey folks,

last air rifle I used was a red rider bb gun as a kid and a break barrel pellet rifle. FF to nowadays... Anyone use them to keep sharp without having to go to a range or countryside and make noise? If so, what is available in a style (size & weight) comparable to a normal hunting rifle (not them gawdy lookin target/sniper rifles with the thumb hole)that will reach out a ways (50+ yards?) and still pack a punch with some accuracy/consistency? At a reasonable price...Tips and links appreciated. I imagine anything you folks can get I can get here..

Thanks, Dave
    It may seem like a good idea, but you live in Germany, so can forget about sensible air rifle usage.

If you want to buy one freely it will be limited to 7.5 joules (5.5. fpe). I've got pistols more powerful, and they are only good for punching holes in paper at 6-10 metres.

In the UK we can freely buy rifles up to 12 fpe. In Germany you can't.

Air gun laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air weapons exceeding 7.5 J muzzle energy, e.g. field target guns, are treated like firearms and therefore require a relevant permit for acquisition and possession. Proof of need, a clean criminal record and the passing of a knowledge and handling test are required to gain the permit.

Presumably this wouldn't be a problem for you, so fill your boots.

AFAIK you will not be allowed to use one for vermin control. Targets only.

Rabbiting and ratting, also grey squirrel and pigeon, with a 12fpe air rifle is often the introduction to fieldsports in the UK. But not allowed in most of Europe. Certainly not France, and also I think Germany.

As said "packing a punch" at 50 yards plus is not possible with a UK 12fpe rifle, we would need an FAC rifle in 20-30 fpe, which realistically means a precharged pneumatic rifle.

Which are expensive. To buy new, with decent 'scope, refilling kit (dive bottle or pump) could easily cost over 1000.

A good quality springer will start at 200 plus new. The best are made by Weihrauch (DE) and Air Arms (UK). Their better rifles will be 350 plus, then there will be a 'scope and mounts needed. Another 200 for anything decent.

you could start with e.g. a Turkish Hatsan or Webley break barrel and cheap 'scope. 200. Or even a Chinese SMK. But you might soon regret it.

Air rifle practice is very useful, particularly with a springer, which requires a firm consistent hold. You don't need to practise at 50 yards plus, 10-25 yards is all that is necessary, with suitably small targets, and .177" pellets. Even an emasculated 7.5 joule German air rifle at 6-10 metres will deliver useful practise, and you may be able to set up an indoor range.

Cheers Sharpie.

Ok I stand corrected -I always thought we had the duff end of the power scale for air rifles but it appears that was an incorrect assumption!

Ed