Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac advice

Muntjac advice

Hi all,
    Have shot a few deer over the years and although there are plenty of muntjac round here only seem to encounter them when lamping so obviously leave well alone, out after a roebuck yesterday and bumped into this old chap in the wrong place and at the wrong time for him! Question is his antlers are about 10 cm long, is this a good head worth taking any further or just a good head! He was an old boy with only one tusk!! Would appreciate any comments, cheers!
    Crumpy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

nice one ,sorry not a clue on the head,doug,
    DONT START

He's a cracker, looks old to me, by the look of the photos there is no brow tine on either antler, so if your question is "is it medal quality" then I would suggest not, but he is a belter of a head, one which most would be very happy with. Good work!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

He is a nice head Crump,but I would"nt think he would be classed a medal,saw a real beauty the other day not far from quatt,but,its national trust so it will stay safe.
    Tony,,

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    He's a cracker, looks old to me, by the look of the photos there is no brow tine on either antler, so if your question is "is it medal quality" then I would suggest not, but he is a belter of a head, one which most would be very happy with. Good work!
    Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, not bad for a first one will do for me!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    He is a nice head Crump,but I would"nt think he would be classed a medal,saw a real beauty the other day not far from quatt,but,its national trust so it will stay safe.
    Tony,,
    I'd agree with Tony.

I have a couple of muntjac medal heads, and nice though your head is, I doubt it would make a medal. There are no brow points and the two beams look uneven (or it appears that way from the photo), which will affect the scoring.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Good representative head, not a medal I would say, but a good old boy to take out and a memory for you. Well done.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Muntjac

I will go against the grain and suggest that you measure the buck, the formula is simple enough to do at home even on a frozen, unprepared head. I used to reckon that 10cm antlers with a 10cm span were worth measuring as the circumferences of mid point and coronets plus brow points can all add up to a surprising amount.

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Tony,,
    Think some of Dudmastons shot Tony, he might not be too safe!

Thanks for replies and kind words guys, was a professional hunt terrierman for 16 years and haven't got a fox mask or brush on the wall but I think I'll do something with this as a momento!