Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope advice

Spotting Scope advice

Guys, I want to buy a spotting scope. Nothing too fancy, just for range work.

Let's say good enough to see .22 holes in paper at 300m?

What would you suggest.

You might want to try Minox, Optolyth or Meopta but be prepared to spend a fair bit for what youre asking to achieve.

I own a Swarovski ATS 65 and it is simply awesome but it wasnt cheap, you might want to try London Camera Exchange they sometimes have second hand stuff.

www.kayoptical.co.uk have a couple of Optolyth 30x75 single-draw telescopes in at the moment.

I mention this because I often use one of those on the range, and I bought a pair of secondhand bins from Kay Optical several years ago and found them good to deal with by telephone/post.

I've never tried to look for .22 holes at 300m, though!

Definately a recipe for eyestrain, looking for rimmy holes at 300

At the risk of snide remarks

If you really want to see .22cal holes at 300 metres then you will need to spend some serious money on the tripod mount never mind the optics for the moment. Unless you get a good heavy and very stable tripod you won't be able to get the focus perfect to see such small holes.

I know this may sound daft to some but a visit to the optics shop in a RSPB reserve would be worth your while as of course bird spotters want not only to see what bird it is but also a lot of them was to see the individual featehrs and to do that requires a stable, very stable, tripod with a good scope mounted on top.

I would advise against Inpro optics having brought one several years ago and it's not that good I am sorry to say it's very touchy on the focus. I would expect the Nickel Marburg 15-60 two draw scope if solidly mounted to be able to see the holes but not having a solid enough tripod to actually try it I cannot be sure.

One thing I can be sure of to do what your asking is going to cost a lot of money in both optics and mounting said optics for clear use. I wish you luck in your quest

The 300m remark was a bit tongue in cheek, just wondering what is possible. I can see holes made by a 222 or 22/250 (obviously not planning to shoot a 22rf at 300m) with a swaro scope on 12x out to about 150m, but you have lost sight of them at 200m.

I was just wondering if a reasonably priced spotting scope (say up to 200 second hand) could resolve .224 holes at 300m - I ask for 300m because this is the longest range I have access to.

I understand the scope would have to be tripod mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    The 300m remark was a bit tongue in cheek, just wondering what is possible. I can see holes made by a 222 or 22/250 (obviously not planning to shoot a 22rf at 300m) with a swaro scope on 12x out to about 150m, but you have lost sight of them at 200m.

I was just wondering if a reasonably priced spotting scope (say up to 200 second hand) could resolve .224 holes at 300m - I ask for 300m because this is the longest range I have access to.

I understand the scope would have to be tripod mounted.
    Not just any tripod the cheap camera type will not do it as the slightest breeze or you even moving with joggle the scope. I use my Inpro with a cheap Argos camera tripod or a bench Helios tripod neither which are stury enough to stop this blurring with wind or the slightest movement.

No matter how good the optics are it's the mounting which is going to limit what you can see at 300M. May I suggest you try looking through others at the range and then you will get an idea of what I am on about.

Of course it's possible but your going to have the get the right set up. Sorry about that. If you were near Licolnshire I would suggets meeting at the range and seeing for your self even on our short 75M range this can be a problem.

Oh chosing the right type of target will help looking for a .22 hole at 300m in a black target will make it even more difficult.

I use a Manfrotto tripod with my Swarovski, these are probably the best IMO, they are solid and rock steady, not too badly priced either.

Leupold spotting scopes are not too bad.

Claret_Dabbler

I have for sale a, as new in the box Nikon Fieldscope ED50 with a Fieldscope

Zoom Eyepiece MCII 13-40x (@ 50)/ 20-60x (@60)/25/75x (@82)

320.00 + p&p

Regards

Max

Hi Max
    Is your scope still available?
    Regards
    Eric