Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best AA batteries

Best AA batteries

One for the techies

i am getting two and a half hours of juice from the pulsar IR on my photon using 24nm AA rechargeable batteries

no problem changing them, is there a higher spec battery that can be used and rechargeable that would last longer.

atb

phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    One for the techies

i am getting two and a half hours of juice from the pulsar IR on my photon using 24nm AA rechargeable batteries

no problem changing them, is there a higher spec battery that can be used and rechargeable that would last longer.

atb

phil
    Don't know about the rechargeable option that will out last these, buy a pack and give them a try I have at least a years use on a one set of these in one of my trailcams and they are still taking photo/video I tried the rechargeables nothing compared 5 stars from me...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...Y4464SWCGN1TC4

Hi Philip,

Battery life depends on the device that is using them-just because the batteries listed above last a year+ in a trail cam, don't expect the same for other uses.

However the batteries listed above have a very high capacity for a AA size. The capacity is listed as 3Ah (3 Amp Hours) means they should be able to provide 1amp of current for 3 hours. If you look for this spec on a battery it will give you an idea of how one compares to another although the figure given for rechargeable batteries is often the best figure to be expected by a newish battery that has always been charged/discharged to the manufacturers specs.

Also, you may see ratings in mAh which it is miliamp hours. to compare mAh to Ah divide by 1000. e.g. 2000mAh is same as 2Ah. Look for highest rating possible but with rechargeable batteries, as a general rule, the higher the capacity, the lower the number of charges the battery will handle. Maybe your rechargeable ones are just knackered?

Also, the temperature you use any battery at will affect its performance-colder the battery-shorter the useable life.

In short, you may get longer life from some types of disposable batteries in preference to rechargeable ones-but at a higher cost.

The gadget show did a battery comparison on AA disposable batteries around a year ago and compared the most expensive premium brands against budget supermarket own brands and the basic conclusion was that the top brands last longer but the cheap ones can have a better s to lifetime than the expensive ones.

Maybe try googling this or looking for this review on youtube?

Sorry for the in depth reply with no real answer but hopefully some of the points may help.

Regards,

FNF

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    One for the techies

atb

phil
    Hi Phil.

I am using 1.2V / 2450mAH Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my Photon, and getting about 3.5 hours of use. The battery code is : HR-3UWXB.

I purchased a pack of four and just rotate them in pairs through the charger ( on the lowest 200mAH recharge cycle ). Yes, they are expensive for AA batteries, but they perform, and they do last, as these are over 2 years old, get recharged 1-2 times a week, and still give the same amount of use.

All the best.

Neil.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hi Phil.

I am using 1.2V / 2450mAH Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my Photon, and getting about 3.5 hours of use. The battery code is : HR-3UWXB.

I purchased a pack of four and just rotate them in pairs through the charger ( on the lowest 200mAH recharge cycle ). Yes, they are expensive for AA batteries, but they perform, and they do last, as these are over 2 years old, get recharged 1-2 times a week, and still give the same amount of use.

All the best.

Neil.
    +1 on these - see Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries - rechargeable up to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you listen to the guys that have the flashlight "thing" (like some of us have the knife, rifle or jacket "thing") then eneloop batteries come highly recommended.

In fact I have just ordered another 4 AA's for a new flashlight

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    +1 on these - see Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries - rechargeable up to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you listen to the guys that have the flashlight "thing" (like some of us have the knife, rifle or jacket "thing") then eneloop batteries come highly recommended.

In fact I have just ordered another 4 AA's for a new flashlight

willie_gunn
    +1 very good for nv use

Thanks Guys
    Really appreciated

I will replace the ones I have with eneloop ( just ordered them online) rechargeable, have had them a while, that is I hope probably the solution, I use the photon virtually every night, over a long period of not less than four hours, I have made a neoprene tube to slide over the battery areas to help combat temperature and moisture.
    just checked the batteries 2.4, 2.5 and 2.7 mah ultra max,ansmann and maplin. Bit of a mixed bag, now I've checked I know I've had some of em a while The maplin lot were the spares for the fox pro. So they have seen use.

regards

phil
    Last edited by philip; 03-04-2014 at 09:19.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The eneloops that Neil recommended are HR-3UWXB
    The ones I included in my link are HR-3UTGA

For the anorak's amongst us there was a thread on BB that discussed the relative merits: New AA torch needed. Any recommendations please? - Page 3

It reminded me of our threads about .243 vs .260 vs .308 vs .30-06........

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!