Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another young boar

Another young boar

Andy and I sat for a boar last night, we put a lot of work into a area and had three young males feeding at different times on the trail cam. We tried twice for one with guests off the SD but failed. We have been waiting for a week to get back there waiting for a change in wind direction.
    It was the first chance to use my new toy a ATN PS22 front mounted NV unit.

We sat for a bout 1.1/2 hours before something came down the bank to the feeder, we sat still until we could hear the tell tale cracking of the maize as he fed. Andy had a look through his NV and gave me the thumbs up, I slowly mounted my rifle and turned on the NV. I know the purists don't agree with hunting boar with NV but I thing it is the most humane and ethical way to do it. I had all the time in the world to access the boar and make sure it was a young male before waiting for him to turn perfect broadside and take the shot. He made a short dash up the hill and crashed down out of sight. Well impressed with my new toy although I was getting a bit of glare from the IR on the moderator I thing so I will have to have a mess with that.

Hopefully it will get plenty of use as we have just taken on the boar and deer management in a large woodland, so "happy happy happy"

Looking forward to the checking the trail cam next week see if the others are still coming and to see if we got the shot on film, its only set for a 15sec burst so unlikely.

Video of him earlier in the week

Very well done Wayne,

Regards,
    Glendine.
    Last edited by Glendine; 03-04-2014 at 13:27. Reason: Because I can!

Nicely done Wayne!! Only 1 1/2 hours as well

Well done, a very healthy looking boar.

Totally agree with NV comment, it certainly is the best way of assessing the animals and then being able to take a unhurried and well placed shot. Could you give me a few more thoughts on the ATN PS22 as I am just about to start thinking of going down the Archer addon route.

ATB

T

Nice one mate. Looks good and healthy. All that maize they eat ;-)

boys and their toys. It looks it might be getting a bit more use on the new patch, well done. Karma mate ;-)

jon

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Very well done Wayne,

Regards,
    Glendine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Nicely done Wayne!! Only 1 1/2 hours as well

Yep he come just like I thought he would for you, I'm sure that dog walker f****d it up for you, there are two more boar visiting but very irregular times.

great result Wayne, glad to hear the night vision is up to the job. looks like a really good boar as well.
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Well done, a very healthy looking boar.

Totally agree with NV comment, it certainly is the best way of assessing the animals and then being able to take a unhurried and well placed shot. Could you give me a few more thoughts on the ATN PS22 as I am just about to start thinking of going down the Archer addon route.

ATB

T
    Its pretty good not in the same league as Andys kite and needs IR but I like the front mounted idea on the big recoiling rifles and not having to mess with the existing zero of the rifle, although with the 56mm Z6 I cant clear the barrel on the Blaser, just clears on the 50mm Zeiss but tight. I'm going to get a higher mount and dedicate a scope to it which sort of defeats the idea but thats the plan.

I still like the idea of the Photon ( i havent seen one yet)for the ranges I shoot at and you can use them before dark if they come early but not sure how the will stick the punishment especially with my sort of tlc one thing about the ps22 it looks "made"

atb

Wayne

Cheers Paul, thanks Jon see you Sunday