Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenterfield Whistle - How Long??

Tenterfield Whistle - How Long??

OK, how long did it take you tenterfield users to master the whistle? I had one land on the door mat the other day and although I am slowly getting there with the rightish kind of noise albeit very quiet - I'm slightly concerned that with the amount of saliva I'm producing I may need to start building an ark if I don't get it soon.

Took me ages to get a reasonable sound out of it.
    But I have never managed to get that sound first time every time, so chucked it in the junk drawer.

Neil.

easy peasy to master watch this, i like the plastic version to change the tone by squeezing it together, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks Wayne - I've already covered the screen with spit whilst watching it!! Will persevere

the key is don't blow hard to start do it softly once you get it you up the power till it is natural or you will never get the hang of it,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Chuck it in the drawer and use something else, I could get the bloody thing to work after lots and lots of practice but when I went to use it in anger with a fox on the horizon I found I just couldn't get it to work under stress.

Not worth the effort IMO

I saw a video on YouTube a while back of an old Aussie bloke making one from a tin can lid. I don't have any need for one, but thought it might be fun to see if I could call anything in with it in the local nature reserves and parks juts for a laugh. Dutifully I followed his example and was so convinced I'd don't it wrong I made a second one. This one just about make some kind of whistling noise if I blew very softly in just the right spot. I binned both and bought a 3 pack of different squeaky dog toys from the 99p shop instead.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

i made four binned three and kept and use the one i can get a noise out of, as they say it sounds like a shreik but you do start a bit gentler if that makes any sense ,ask roy lupton,atb doug,
    DONT START

take the squeek thingy out of a squeeky toy,put it in a 6-7" length of plastic tubing(screen wash tubing or similar off e-bay),blow down the tube and cup your hand over the end with the squeeky thing in,bobs your auntie,works a treat and alot easier than that thing

i have found that a squeeky thing that fits in 7mm tube gives the best sound

Took me a few days , might have been quicker but the wife wouldn't have me in the house.
    First time out called up two foxes in minutes.
    not so successful since but it works.
    Also nobody is going to ask to borrow it once it's full of your gob.
    Steve