Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRNO BO98 (new BRNO mauser 98)

BRNO BO98 (new BRNO mauser 98)

Well I've finally got my variation forms in, and jumping the gun I've put a deposit on a new BRNO BO98. After a fair bit of googling I haven't picked up anything, at least in english anyway.

The dealer says it is a new model, not related to the ZKK or 550 actions. It's built on a full Mauser 98 action made by BRNO. Has anyone heard of them? The dealer says BRNO have now closed down and sold all equipment, so these new ones are pretty thin on the ground, and certainly will get more so. It looks like they haven't really made it into the english speaking world, but they're a 98 so parts etc. aren't an issue. I went for a walnut American stock. He's worked the (single set) trigger, made the safety scope friendly and they're factory screwcut.

I'm pretty stoked as it's my first CF rifle and have done a painful amount of reading on mauser actions and their versions and decided I HAD to have a full '98, with a ZKK coming close second. I went for 243 (FEO and land clearing reasons), but already thinking one day will rebarrel to 7x57 (same length action on this).

If anyone is interested, here is a slovakian link with pictures. And if anyone can read slovakian, a translation (other than a fairly useless online one) would be great
    http://www.hunterbogdan.sk/brno98.html

Congrats I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

I've never heard of that particular model but I have both the ZKK in 243 and a CZ 550 in 6.5X55 and both are excellent in my opinion, I am sure you will not be disappointed with your choice.

John

Be extremely careful with the flag safety on the 98 action. Its extremly easy to flick down by accident.

Mark

Are you sure that is a current commercial offering? The triggerguard and floorplate assembly smacks of military surplus. Note the hole for the Mauser QD Swivel. Maybe they are using up the parts they have laying about.

No matter. My favorite 308 is built (cobbled together?) on a M98 BRNO action with an FN built Israeli-contract barrel and dropped into a commercial FN stock. Quality stuff. Your rifle should shoot well.~Muir

thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm very pleased to have found a new 98. I was looking into Zavastas but I heard a couple of criticisms about their finish, and Mike Dickinson swears these are to a higher finish than Zavastas and CZ.

Nice rifle Mark - is it yours? Looks like a BO98? I guess a lot of sporter mausers look similar at first glance.

Muir - please shed more light. What do you mean by QD swivel, and what makes the trigger guard/floorplate look surplus? Mike is very definite about them being made by BRNO in their factory, and I have no reason to doubt it. He's visited more than once. Either way I don't mind, surplus doesn't put me off - it's still a mauser! Your 308 sounds nice, any pics? I'm guessing you may have a few 98s tucked away?

harry ,

your paper work should go through fine , a nice rifle a fine first centrefire will serve you well

cheers lee

I have had an old minty '98 FN in .270 set up for myself by Armalon. The standard trigger was tough so I had a Timney unit installed and that comes with a side thumb-operated safety so the twiddly wing safety lever can be removed. Cracking trigger now.

Also had the rifle steel bedded so would recommend a good bedding job. That made a huge difference to the groups. Now well sub MOA with most homeloads. But see how yours shoots first.

Hi Harry

Yes the rifle is mine, its a Sabi 458 Lott based on a VZ24 action. The scope will protect the flag safety a little. She weighs in a 11 llbs which helps absorb the recoil a bit.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382
    .........Muir - please shed more light. What do you mean by QD swivel, and what makes the trigger guard/floorplate look surplus? Mike is very definite about them being made by BRNO in their factory, and I have no reason to doubt it. He's visited more than once. Either way I don't mind, surplus doesn't put me off - it's still a mauser! Your 308 sounds nice, any pics? I'm guessing you may have a few 98s tucked away?
    See the hole in the front of the trigger guard? that is for a wide quick detachable swivel that was military issue. Not a problem, just military issue with a commercial finish. Remember, BRNO mad military arms for decades. The trigger guard was probably made by them and warehoused til now.

I'll see if I can find a pic of my BRno 98. I put the entire rifle togther for a grand total of $95 US. ($55 action, $35 barrel, $5 stock, $5 for spray paint for the unblued barrel) It is one of my favorite rifles. Oh! I also made a 10 round magazine for it... just for yucks.~Muir