stunning munty

hi chaps

had a lovely afternoon out friday ..

i have been going out a lot as soon as i finish work i am trying to make the most of the dry spell..

i made the half hour drive to one of my permissions as it holds a good amount of deer and i new there would be something mooching around.

i tend to sit on the hill for a few hours, from that point a can look over all the fields with the binos and see any movement..

as always there is a buck milling around the bottom near the spinny as i was watching him slowly nod off i noticed movement in the brambles. its was a nice big munty about 10 yards away from the roe but as soon as i seen it it disappeared back into cover..

now i thought it was going to be a waiting game but 10 minutes later she reappeared in the same spot it was a tight shot and over 200 yards but the opportunity was there so i took aim and down she went...

she was a good size and carrying so its probably for the best very pleased with her she is now sorted and going to make some lovely meals

2eulkb8.jpg

i do like them muntys they are a brilliant animal funny to watch and excellent to shoot i think they make the perfect manageable deer to stalk carry and butcher..

jhg4nq.jpg

many thanks andy

The meat on that muntjac seems a lot more pale than what I have seen on the ones I've shot, it's more the colour of CWD, but perhaps that's just the photo. Interesting that you cut off the shanks like that, I hadn't tried that. I cut off that meat and include it with the shoulders, which I dice up for stews (I can always mince them later if I want to). I've also boned out the haunches as I'm out of freezer space, but I was wondering how exactly to best use them. There was a big piece of fat on the back of the legs that I put in the cavity in the middle, but I don't know if roasting a 3-year old muntjac haunch is likely to give very good results. I fear it could dry out very easily. How do you prepare those haunches?

The meat on that muntjac seems a lot more pale than what I have seen on the ones I've shot, it's more the colour of CWD, but perhaps that's just the photo. Interesting that you cut off the shanks like that, I hadn't tried that. I cut off that meat and include it with the shoulders, which I dice up for stews (I can always mince them later if I want to). I've also boned out the haunches as I'm out of freezer space, but I was wondering how exactly to best use them. There was a big piece of fat on the back of the legs that I put in the cavity in the middle, but I don't know if roasting a 3-year old muntjac haunch is likely to give very good results. I fear it could dry out very easily. How do you prepare those haunches?

if you want a fresher one i think i have one in the freezer three year old one sounds i tad over due. lol

i take the shanks of all the time it makes a better rolled haunch and with the shanks i slow cook them and the tough bits dissolves and leaves nice tender meat.. or use them as a stock ..with the haunches most of the time i break down into steaks but if i do a roast its just a simple roast with oil butter salt black pepper and fresh sage out the garden...

Nice one Camokid, I've taken a couple out at that range -- don't they look small in the scope!

For Pine Marten -- I bone and roll the haunches then roast them (a couple at a time). I then slice the cold roasts (about 1/4" slices) then lay them in a slow cooker with a bit of gravy, then slow cook them for 8 hours. Result - braised venison slices that are so tender they fall off the fork. Served up with greens and roast potatoes --- loverly!!! :)

Nice one Camokid, I've taken a couple out at that range -- don't they look small in the scope!

For Pine Marten -- I bone and roll the haunches then roast them (a couple at a time). I then slice the cold roasts (about 1/4" slices) then lay them in a slow cooker with a bit of gravy, then slow cook them for 8 hours. Result - braised venison slices that are so tender they fall off the fork. Served up with greens and roast potatoes --- loverly!!! :)

I shot one from a highseat at 180m last month, but I had to whack up the magnification to 12x to see it clearly enough. I only took the shot because I had a very solid rest, but it felt like the edge of my ability. But still within it.

Why roast the haunches before slow-cooking them?

Why roast the haunches before slow-cooking them?

I've tried it both ways (roast or not roast) and they always seem to come out better after roasting them, probably something to do with not having to cook them so much.

Back