Syndicate - what is good value

Scuba dog syndicates vary in price from a couple of hundred pounds to thousands but I've never been in one yet were the venison was NOT the property of the syndicate member who shot it also when you have 1000to 3000or more thousand acres of plantation the chances of shooting all the deer are millions to one forestry plantations are very hard places to control all the deer on them
Atb Tom

Scuba dog syndicates vary in price from a couple of hundred pounds to thousands but I've never been in one yet were the venison was NOT the property of the syndicate member who shot it also when you have 1000to 3000or more thousand acres of plantation the chances of shooting all the deer are millions to one forestry plantations are very hard places to control all the deer on them
Atb Tom

I know of quite a few where the venison is not included,most of them made up of Eurpean members who can't legally take the venison home.

Why the UK ? Because they find it very good value compared to home.

In Belgium for example expect to pay up to a £1,000 per beast for a lease that's if you can get one, as demand is far greater than that available.

The price is all about how much you love the sport. Stalking in most areas goes down to luck being in the right place at the right time they are wild animals and can wander where they like. On my land I have seen as many as 30 animals in a few hours and also spent days not seeing any. But if I had to pay for each individual stalk that I do each year it would be into the thousands and that is with does, bucks, stags and hinds. You pay what you can afford and if you think it is too expensive do not pay simple as that. Pay for each individual stalk where stalkers may put you on the deer or may not but as already been stated you go out when they say and go where they say. But it feels great to get out on your land and stalk where you hope them to be and more often you will disturb them where you dont think they will be but its the thrill of the chase and it is only down to you and thats what I pay for not numbers, but when the numbers come it is a bonus. Syndicate stalking to me is as good as you want to make it and in the UK is great value for money.

We must be lucky in the south never had to pay, I ofher a service were I can deal with deer problems and take away the carcase as payment and that's what a lot of my friends do as well infact I no one or two who get pay as well as take the carcase .I have a larder and cut and then sell at local farmers markets sometimes I charge people to come around and I give them a lesson in butchery and they take away the carcase. I must say I have one block off wood land were I do pay 1.60 a kg x head and leg but I am well in there. That wood had not had any deer management for about three years and the place was crawling with deer the D I set the cull at 30 a year ive had 19 since jan there might be a opportunity for me to take one or to in for a high seat evening no trophy shooting only cull animals all muntie are to be shot on sight and if safe. A donation to the woodland would be ask for all moneys go back in to re gen the wood level two would be a must.

I pay a set amount, and anything that I shoot comes home with me... Up to me when I stalk, so if I go out once in the year and don't get anything it's been a bl**dy expensive year, but if I shoot 5 deer over the year, then it's pretty good value.

All that said, for me it's not so much the cost, or even the return on that cost, it's about having land that I can stalk on pretty much when I want to. I get to know the land, when and where the deer tend to appear. I know back stops, crop cycles, wind directions and where the sun rises/sets. All this adds up and means that I get onto the land before dawn with some semblance of a plan rather than only being able to stalk in an afternoon so that I can physically see everything to make snap judgements.

Do your research on any syndicate and you'll find those that others have been bitten by! There's one in Yorkshire that regularly gets mentioned on here, so ask the right questions and you'll get the feedback you need.

My sentiment entirely!

Thank you all for the response. With over 1800 hits and 26 replies it's obviously a subject close to most stalkers hearts. I have found the replies very interesting and food for thought, so thanks again.

Thank you all for the response. With over 1800 hits and 26 replies it's obviously a subject close to most stalkers hearts. I have found the replies very interesting and food for thought, so thanks again.

Another point to consider is the syndicate lead. A good syndicate lead will be letting you see the annual invoice when it comes in and splitting the bill equally between the syndicate members. I was in a Mancunian led syndicate for a year and I've no idea how many folk were in it and who they were.

In one of our syndicates the venison is all pooled and set against the next year's rent.

There are many ways to run syndicates, but KISS rules. If things aren't clear, give them a body swerve.

Regards

JCS

I was on a syndicate last year for roe. The land was very local to me and had plenty deer on it . I knew the estate very well and the guy who runs it was very fair and a good guy to run the syndicate. It was also very fairly priced.The only problem was , apart from 2 of the members , they were a bunch of 2 faced , back stabbing tossers , who couldn't stalk to save their lives. I was given the opportunity to rejoin this year but declined as it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Good luck with the search for a syndicate as well, the syndicate leader gets to pick and choose who's on the ground so if 'the face' don't fit then you won't be welcome (mine and a few mates experience) .An example was 1 recently that 2 of us applied for and never even got the cursory replies but it was back up last week for members, I'm guessing we were to local but only the syndicate leader can tell you that.

Syndicates are usually run by someone who wants to make money..

While there is nothing wrong with a commercial syndicate offering VFM in so far everyone is happy, there are some who charge big bucks for areas where there are few deer.

You could pay an average of 700 plus per annum to be a syndicated member and have access to only a few days per year stalking - how can someone possibly effectively manage deer on a given ground if this is the case….

The advice I would give is use your legs and telephone and ring around, contact FC, SFC, Tillhill etc and private landowners and ask to be placed on their lists.

Be very careful about jumping in to a syndicate without knowing the following:

How many others in the group

How many days does my money buy

What are the previous average cull figures

What is the current cull target

How many times have deer counts been carried out in the area - proper deer counts with thermal imager …...

All pertinent and relevant before you part with your £

Sniper, I think you raise a pertinent point. Some syndicate managers ( or whatever title fits) definitely do not want people who are "TOO LOCAL". Quite happy to have guys from far away who will rarely visit the ground. We seem to have similar experiences - the cursory reply, or lack of it, fits also.
I am fortunate to have some stalking, in a syndicate where it is run by a good guy. I hope this is not actually a rarity.

I have been offered a few syndicate places but never took the plunge, it puts you off when you here how people get ripped off.
I know of one or two syndicates that are very good and never advertise and anything like that you need to be in the know or in the circle to get in.
The prices that paul at fechan states isn't expensive in my eyes I have a little stalking local to me but if I totted the actual cost it would be hell of a lot more than £300 a beast.
Stalking is never going to be cheap as its the in thing now just look at the number of people joining this and other sites for stalking.
I recon a decent deer syndicate is on parr cost wise with what I pay for my pheasant syndicate for 7 days shooting, which is good value seen as you can pretty much go stalking when you want.

Red Mist is correct and counting deer is hard work and can be expensive if a thermal imager is used. That said a good 1000,000 candle power lamp will come a close second. Slots, brows, dung ,day time sights ,all come in to the figure's.

Back