Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand National 2014: I actually chose a horse for a sensible reason!

Grand National 2014: I actually chose a horse for a sensible reason!

It's that time of year again when I take my single annual foray into gambling, and place a bet on an insane horse race with no decent knowledge I why I chose to back a certain horse, barring the waffle spouted by experts who have by-and-large failed to become very rich based on their own tips. However this year is ever so slightly different as I chose a horse based entirely on my own tenuous research. Specifically, Wildfowler1 on here has a connection with a particular horse that was running in the race just before the Grand National last year, and so I bet a courtesy fiver on it and sat down to watch the race. The horse in question didn't win, but the one that did, Battle Group, came out of nowhere to demolish the rest of the field. The commentator said something along the lines of "If this one's entered into the main race next year, he's well worth a bet".

Now I knew I'd never remember this, so I immediately opened my iPhone calendar, went forward a year, and made a note of this. A couple of days ago, I came across this note, which reminded me that it was time for a trip to the betting shop. I looked at the runners, and sure enough, there's Battle Group! So there we have it, I now have 20 on Battle Group at 50-1. Is that a daft bet? Probably. But it's not any sillier than any of the other ways I've used to choose in previous years, and I have a losing streak to stop, after three years on the trot of winning. So let's see what happens.

Anyone else have a stake in this?

I rarely bet these days but now I've read this if I don't have some money on it and it wins, I will be right jarred! And also I will have someone to blame if it loses!! Win win!!

Fiver each way for me then!!

It's now 40-1!!
    Last edited by stratts; 04-04-2014 at 11:33. Reason: Odds added!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Don't waste your money....get it on Crew Neck or Dusty Cap.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I rarely bet these days but now I've read this if I don't have some money on it and it wins, I will be right jarred! And also I will have someone to blame if it loses!! Win win!!

Fiver each way for me then!!

It's now 40-1!!
    Well good luck, but betting each way isn't playing to win: http://www.hark.com/clips/chtcrdsrzh-play-to-win

Ok, so I chose my horse based on the thoughts of a chap posting his rationale on the internet in a deer stalking forum no less.

Pine Marten - 40-1 and it's winner winner, chicken dinner...

As sound as any other logic I've applied in previous years.

I hardly ever place a bet on the Grand National; one year I won over 250 quid after the horse I backed came in at 13-1, every other time I seem to have chosen the offspring of a milk-float nag crossed with a Blackpool donkey, half destined for the glue factory, half destined for the petfood factory.

So I may go big time this year and bet a whole tenner - yep fellas, you read that right, a whole tenner, get me, Mr Big time - on the race. I'll throw this open to the floor.....which horse?

I want a name - and a compelling reason why I should staple a ten pound note to it to it please!!

Over to you......
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

A tenner! Good God man what's possessed you?

The rainbow hunter, in April it's as elusive as a roe buck.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    At a 1000.000-1 Red rum is worth a flutter.

Would that be each way lol
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Don't waste your money....get it on Crew Neck or Dusty Cap.
    Tony both non runners I put 20.00 each way on both
    DJC
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner