Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For drilling enthusiasts: latest crop of auction offerings

For drilling enthusiasts: latest crop of auction offerings

Hello everyone.

Since the last round of Holt's auctions is over, it's time to look ahead to another series of virtual drilling acquisitions!

So here's what's in the catalogue at Bonham's on May 1st:

Double rifle drilling in 9.3x74R and 16 bore
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21657/lot/48/

Krieghoff Neptun Primus drilling in 12bore and 7x65R
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21657/lot/50/

That second one weighs a tonne, but it's not surprising given the absolutely humungous scope that's been mounted on it. It looks ridiculous!

Then at Gavin Gardiner, a couple more:

GERMAN 16-BORE/5.6X50R HAMMER DRILLING
    http://www.gavingardiner.com/bidcat/...0021&LotRef=98

Attachment 40194

W. EBLEN
    A GERMAN 16-BORE/6.5MM SIDELOCK NON-EJECTOR DRILLING

http://www.gavingardiner.com/bidcat/...0021&LotRef=99

Attachment 40195

It doesn't specify what sort of 6.5mm the rifle barrel is. Probably 6.5x57R, but you can't tell. A lovely gun though.

None of these are quite what I'm after though. Still, I enjoy the pixelated window-shopping. Hope you do too.

A friend of mine has a Krieghoff Neptun Primus Luxus in 16- 7x57R. I've hunted with it and have shot roe and hares with it. I think today the new price is about £25000. A lovely bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    A friend of mine has a Krieghoff Neptun Primus Luxus in 16- 7x57R. I've hunted with it and have shot roe and hares with it. I think today the new price is about £25000. A lovely bit of kit.
    That's an ideal combination. The one here is on sale for something like £3-5k, and there's one in the unsold lots in Holts for the same. That said, no-one's bought it for two sales in a row now. I'm waiting for a standard Suhler drilling to turn up. One without a 12x68 scope on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It doesn't specify what sort of 6.5mm the rifle barrel is. Probably 6.5x57R, but you can't tell. A lovely gun though.
    They are lovely, though my worry would be that they are a species that, like English s/s guns, attracts the attention of 'we buy rubbish and sell antiques'-type operators.

As to the 6.5mm, 6.5x57R would be useful: 6.5x48R, x52R, x58R, x61R perhaps rather less so.

5.6x50R gives .223-like ballistics, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    [snip]
    5.6x50R gives .223-like ballistics, I think.
    Slightly better than .223R, the 5.6x50 Mag can chuck out a 60gr bullet at 3200fps compared to the .223's 3000fps. It's my understanding that the 5.6 was developed specifically to meet the German law which required 1000 joules at 100 metres for roe.

-JMS

That little 5.6x50r x16 drilling is lovely. Would be a great gun door Roe and rough shooting or a morning stalk followed by a days driven shooting.

I'm with Geoffrey Household when it comes to these rogue of barrel contrivances.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I'm with Geoffrey Household when it comes to these rogue of barrel contrivances.

K
    Literate bugger... I haven't read that for years and I can't remember exactly what he says about the drilling, although I can guess the gist. Shortly before Asmodeus has his revenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    ...or a morning stalk followed by a days driven shooting...
    ...if for some reason your were forbidden to go back to your house/vehicle for a change of firearm.

Self-quotation is perhaps the most absurd vanity imaginable, but as I like the picture so much, here goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I rather like the look of this very practical Vierling:

More than once I have used my combination gun for exactly that - I am not keen at leaving a firearm in a vehicle for a day. Driven out of town early in the morning - a potter around the woods for a doe first thing then carried on down to the borders and joined up with some friends for a days rough shooting with a mixed bag of snipe, teal, pigeon and pheasant. Actually just having a single shot barrel is not really a disadvantage - makes you concentrate! What I would really like would be a pair of shot barrels as well as the combination barrels.