Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stalking knives

stalking knives

I recently bought the EKA Swingblade knife and a Cutco Hunter knife & would recommend both for any one looking for a good stalking knife, both very sharp.

1st eka swingblade
    2nd cutco hunter
    3rd buck alpha
    4th buck omni
    5th ?

Thanks.

Nice collection - but............................................... ........

You can only use one at any one time!

If you had to choose only one of them to last you forever, which would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    Nice collection - but............................................... ........

You can only use one at any one time!

If you had to choose only one of them to last you forever, which would it be?
    True, (i must have a knife fetish)

i'd choose the eka swingblade over the others i own.

It does look a useful tool, and I haven't used one, but I would have hygiene concerns with it if gralloching several deer. How easy is it to clean?
    I'm thinking cross contamination here. You could just use one of your many other knives though I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    It does look a useful tool, and I haven't used one, but I would have hygiene concerns with it if gralloching several deer. How easy is it to clean?
    I'm thinking cross contamination here. You could just use one of your many other knives though I suppose!
    i always take a spare knife with me, it is easy to clean though with the "swinging blade" you can get to it all to clean & the handle slabs are impervious plastic.

Eka Swingblade

I got an Eka Swingblade at christmas, definately recommend them, holds a good edge an is a nice knife to handle, i used it to skin a few sika and found it a very good knife to use.

wicklow202

Cutco! Forever sharp life time guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man
    Cutco! Forever sharp life time guarantee.

yep

If someone would like my EKA switch blade knife its somewhere in a forest in the borders, lost it first time out. EXPENSIVE

MS wrote:
    I'm thinking cross-contamination here.

Can someone please tell me where "cross-contamination" comes into play if you use the same knife on more than one deer that you have just shot.

Yes I do have level 1 & 2 & have had since they first reared their head.

Yes I do follow best practice also, BUT

You should have been taught to check the deer on the hoof BEFORE you take its life to check for abnomalities while alive.
    NO you dont always get the time in cull situations but I would say 7 out of 10 times you do.

So, you have shot your two or how ever many deer and you start the process of best practice now you are up close and personal.
    You are happy with what you see so you hang it if possible and then bleed it and start the gralloch.

Intestines on the floor you check the lymph nodes for TB or any abnormalites. Happy with that you then check the inside of the carcass or as much as you can see untill you are happy that it is a perfectly healthy deer.

So if you are happy with all of that, WHY is your knife contaminated, assuming you didn't stick it in the tree during your work on the carcass,
    or layed it on the ground where someone or something has taken a pee or a dump, why shoud it be CONTAMINATED.

If you are dealing with more than a couple of deer I would agree that its a good idea to clean your knife simply because of the blood and hair on it.

I just think that you have to draw a line somewhere.

Best Practice OTT

Waiting to be shot down in flames

ATB

Max