stalking knives

:lol:

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, I was left this knife the other week when unfortunately my wifes Taid(Grandad) passed away.

I've been told it's about 20yrs old and was given to him by a Finnish couple who he met when HE was volunteering in an old peoples home(he was 60 odd then :lol: )

It's a J.Marttiini of Finland, very nice though I'll probably never use it partly because it's very slippery to use and VERY sharp...

DSC00166.jpg

BOAB

Here is one for beardy boab

Photo is pish but i cleaned the lens and these are better, sorry need new phone.

I got myself this for xmas. To flash for stalking but i think it is a work of art and that is all that matters. (bought the folder as well cos i am special and ash is making me and my mate special persons sheaths 8) )

Cheap hand made german shite I know but i like them.

wapiti2.jpg
here is the sheath

pumawapiti.jpg

Looks very like a Puma, DD ,if it is its the best money can buy ,as you rightly know .
Knifes come in all shapes and sizes ive seen and used cut down paint scrapers made from carbon steel hellish to stop rusting but holds a fantastic edge .
Personally Its all Pumas Ive got which I'll continue to buy, I accept the price knowing all to well thats the price of quality , next to a optics its the thing you work with the most, thats where I'll put the cash every time is to quality .
A few years ago I stupidly broke a blade of my Puma game warden, Puma replaced the blade FOC with out question .

puma

You know your onions WS,

It is a puma wapiti all the way from Germany to USA back to me cheaper than i can get anywhere, sucks but that is life.

And i probably would not have bought it if i was not half cut at the time.

It is just a pretty thing like i said not for stalking because of cross contamination from the stag on the handle ot the stag on the hill :D

CUTCO

I'm thinking of expanding my knife collection by one and could do with some advice. Does anyone have any preference/experience of the CUTCO Drop Point versus Clip Point?
Thanks in advance,
T.

Re: CUTCO

TASR12 said:
I'm thinking of expanding my knife collection by one and could do with some advice. Does anyone have any preference/experience of the CUTCO Drop Point versus Clip Point?
Thanks in advance,
T.

ive got the cutco drop point mate and it is as sharp as feck, seems to hold a good edge, comes with life time guarantee and they will re sharpen it for you if you send it back to them. (if you look at the picture ive attached at start of this topic its the second one down).

This is my second Cutco, I bought my first about 7-8 years ago and decided to change it to an orange version. Cost me £10 to upgrade from a double D to normal blade.

Forever sharp guarantee works!

Purchased a Falkniven F1 two weeks ago to replace an ancient Puma folder which I felt was too small. The F1 is only 20mm longer but seems massive. Anyway, since I got it I've shot nowt so I can't report on how it performs....

I've heard some good things about the CUTCO blades this only reinforces that. I was just wondering about the difference between the actual blade shapes i.e drop point and clip point.

TASR12 said:
I've heard some good things about the CUTCO blades this only reinforces that. I was just wondering about the difference between the actual blade shapes i.e drop point and clip point.

I couldn't comment mate i've only used the drop point, i think the drop point looks better !!

Any clip point knife will increase your chance of puncturing the Rumen, even if you shield the rumen with your hand.

It should be almost impossible to puncture anything if you use your knife in the way most are taught, shielding the point of any knife with a finger, by placing said finger on the back of the blade, at the tip.

EH!!

deer man said:
Any clip point knife will increase your chance of puncturing the Rumen, even if you shield the rumen with your hand.

Clip point and drop point are personal preference only. If you blame your knife on the fact you clipped a rumen then more fool you.

Clip points allow for more intricate work and are great on the smaller deer, (e.g. apple coreing anal passage etc) and drops are bugger and stronger for heavier work.

I have both and like both.

The most popular folding hunting knife is a buck ranger and it is a clip point. Bushcraft and survuval knifes are drop point.

It is more important to find a knife that is well balanced and a good fit for you. Never buy a cheap folding knife (fingers are not easily replaced) and always try to find out what type of steel it is. Stainless is not nearly enough info (cutco is 440A which is sound).

The Cutco has an excellent reputation but DD egde cannot be sharpened except by sending it back to the factory so beware as the factory is in USA.

Buy an Fallkniven F1 and leave the yankee cutlery behind. :p

All sounds promising, I had never thought of getting a serrated blade but this looks like it could be a good option going on a previous post. Another variable to throw in there and widen the choice!

I would not recomend getting a serrated blade for deer work. I am using a £8.95 Stainless Frost knife for all of my larder work at the moment by way of an experiment, so far it has gralloched 350 fallow plus 50 or so wild deer, butchered about 100 fallow plus it has been used for preparing several hundred gamebirds. Until about a month ago it was keeping a great edge with just the use of a steel, now I am having to Lansky it about once a week. At the end of the season I will relegate it to being a spare/loan knife and buy another exactly the same. Can't recomend them enough. JC

Re: EH!!

308boy said:
deer man said:

Clip point and drop point are personal preference only. If you blame your knife on the fact you clipped a rumen then more fool you.

Clip points allow for more intricate work and are great on the smaller deer, (e.g. apple coreing anal passage etc) and drops are bugger and stronger for heavier work.

The most popular folding hunting knife is a buck ranger and it is a clip point. Bushcraft and survuval knifes are drop point.

It is more important to find a knife that is well balanced and a good fit for you. Never buy a cheap folding knife (fingers are not easily replaced) and always try to find out what type of steel it is. Stainless is not nearly enough info (cutco is 440A which is sound).

The Cutco has an excellent reputation but DD egde cannot be sharpened except by sending it back to the factory so beware as the factory is in USA.

I still stand by my post, a clip point can lead to a burst rumen. The long angled point of the blade can be deceiving and for a novice the tip can easily be missed when shrouding the blade with the hand. My drop point Cutco is fine for Tunneling around the anal passage of Muntjac or any other deer.

Cutco are American but when you send it back for sharpening it goes to a U.K. company and is usually returned within a couple of days! I had the double D for a while, didnt get on with it so I sent it back and got a new one.

Here is the U.K. web site http://shop.cutco.co.uk/

Re: EH!!

deer man said:
308boy said:
deer man said:

I still stand by my post, a clip point can lead to a burst rumen. The long angled point of the blade can be deceiving and for a novice the tip can easily be missed when shrouding the blade with the hand. My drop point Cutco is fine for Tunneling around the anal passage of Muntjac or any other deer.

Cutco are American but when you send it back for sharpening it goes to a U.K. company and is usually returned within a couple of days! I had the double D for a while, didnt get on with it so I sent it back and got a new one.

I would agree with above, I use the orange cutco with drop point non serrated blade. I really like it and v good value. Another added advantage of the drop point is skinning; it runs straight up the inside of a rear leg without digging in at all.

Back