Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: heavy rifles

heavy rifles

A thought...

You see a lot of people obsessing at great length about the weight of rifles. To the extent that weight has become one of the strongest selling points, and seems to have been at least partially reponsible for the drive toward ever shorter barrels.

And yet how much do we actually notice any difference in weight? The weight difference between some over engineered >1000 rifle and a budget 'heavy' rifle is less than the weight of water+mud most of us pick up just wandering around. And worrying about weight is pure nonsense if the first thing you're going to do is whack a bipod, moderator and x50 variable scope on the rifle.

I refuse to belive that we are collectively so pathetic that we are likley to collapse under the extra pound or so that goes into a sturdy traditional rifle.

So is it really just another more or less meaningless sales metric (like tube size on scopes) that we're better off ignoring?

at the moment im not that clued up on c/f rifle weights my 223 t3 was to me ok weight wise then i bought a good solid mod ase s5 it weighs a ton, but i think i can manage as long as i dont put a bipod on i dont like them anyway,but as you say whats light? all my air rifles weighed a ton and then lightforce on top plus burglar alarm batteries in my pocket, and rucksack full of bunnies, so now the 223 isnt looking ,that heavy , doug, ps and also if you think about it when your stalking youve got a lot more time ,so no rushing to get from a to b lamping,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 04-04-2014 at 23:08.
    DONT START

The farther mass is from the point about which it is rotating, the more difficult it is to rotate - the moment of Inertia. It is like a measure of difficulty to angularly accelerate an object.

If your game demands having to quickly acquire targets, get ahead, stay ahead, or what not, then you will either want a shorter, lighter, or combination thereof, barrel.

Of course, the shorter the barrel, the less time and distance the forces of the expanding gas have to do work on your shot. Hence, a shorter barrel decreases muzzle velocity.

In general, I agree that most of us do not have to over think barrel weight. Personally, I do not like to buy any firearm that is marketed with the word lite/light. When I put my face next to a controlled explosion, I want there to be over-engineering.

As for heavy gun, I think this is shot in the "light" gun category!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heavy_gun_zps31b70bb1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	40220

All my rifles are heavy barrels, even my 22 rimmy, not complaints here on the weights mungo, I prefer heavier ones

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    All my rifles are heavy barrels, even my 22 rimmy, not complaints here on the weights mungo, I prefer heavier ones
    +1 my favourite rifle is my Tikka T3 varmint in .243, DM80 mod & bipod, the only draw back is it likes to try and rotate on my shoulder when carried muzzle up. I bought a Tikka T3 lite in .308, 200 shots later and I just couldn't get on with it so traded it in for the varmint version, much better
    Wingy

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you think we get obsessed by weight, just than God we haven't got as bad as cyclists, many of whom have OCD when it comes to the weight of their bikes. "Do you do this in carbon" has become a joke catchphrase.

If we go the same way it will be carbon fibre everything - stocks, barrels (you can already get carbon fibre clad barrels for .22's), scopes, etc.

The reality, of course, is that most would be better off shedding the excess pounds around their waists!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

If you Hill stalk it makes a massive difference with or without a Mayfair office waistline.

K

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If you think we get obsessed by weight, just than God we haven't got as bad as cyclists, many of whom have OCD when it comes to the weight of their bikes. "Do you do this in carbon" has become a joke catchphrase.
    I used to do a lot of mountain biking starting 20 years ago when ever exotic materials were still being tested out, Al, Ti, Carbon, etc
    There were so many broken seat posts, handle bars and frames as people went for ever thinner and lighter tubing. some of the injuries were horrific. Try a splintered carbon fibre seat post up the jacksie! Or face planting into the stem when the handlebars snap off as you land!

Made me laugh as they could spend 1000's to shave maybe 100grams off the total weight when all they needed to do was have a strong cup of proper coffee and go for a good dump beforehand!
    lose a few pounds right there!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

If we go the same way it will be carbon fibre everything - stocks, barrels (you can already get carbon fibre clad barrels for .22's), scopes, etc.

The reality, of course, is that most would be better off shedding the excess pounds around their waists!

willie_gunn
    aint that the truth ! , look to fitness first for hill stalking it must be so frustrating for a hill stalker to walk at a snails pace or have the guest unable to shoot the beast they've just spent 4hours stalking because they are having a coronary !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

If its less that 10lb it shouldn't be called a rifle.