Thread: Wanted!!!!! A shot out Remmy or Tikka .223 and .308 long action

Wanted!!!!! A shot out Remmy or Tikka .223 and .308 long action

Hi Folks

Im looking for two long action in .223 and .308 Remmy or Tikka to make a couple project rifles for myself and the misses.

Many thanks

Alwyn

Why specify the calibre? Surely you just need 2 long action rifles if you intend to re-barrel them? .308 is generally short action.
    MS

What are you looking to spend I may have a suitable action with 243/308 bolt

I'm afraid I know very little about the whole thing. So if you can shed any light please do.

To answer your questions the .223 is for my young lady. she is on the slight side and does laparoscopic surgery so is worried about injuring her shoulder and I've got another slot for a .308 for myself. I've also got slot for a 6.5x55 if there is any kicking about.

As far as money is concerned I'm not sure how much but I am quite sensible.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 05-04-2014 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Why specify the calibre? Surely you just need 2 long action rifles if you intend to re-barrel them? .308 is generally short action.
    MS
    I know we are not to debate on the for sale section ,but knowing nothing about how to build rifles, just wondering, are you saying all long action bolts/calibres will fit all long action calibres, it's only the barrel that's different?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm afraid I know very little about the whole thing. So if you can shed any light please do.

To answer your questions the .223 is for my young lady. she is on the slight side and does laparoscopic surgery so is worried about injuring her shoulder and I've got another slot for a .308 for myself. I've also got slot for a 6.5x55 if there is any kicking about.

As far as money is concerned I'm not sure how much but I am quite sensible.
    Small rifles aren't always the solution to recoil. Newtons law of physics (3rd law I think?) states that 'every action has an equal and opposit reaction'. This means that a light rifle kicks more than a heavier rifle as it doesn't have the weight to absorb the recoil. A lighter load will also help. The best solution here would undoubtedly be a decent moderator! See if someone near has a .243 with a good moderator and let her have a go. You'll find that the recoil is minimal. Even a 6.5 x 55 is quite tame with a good mod. Buying a complete set-up ready to go is often the cheapest option. Keep an eye on the sales section here!

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I know we are not to debate on the for sale section ,but knowing nothing about how to build rifles, just wondering, are you saying all long action bolts/calibres will fit all long action calibres, it's only the barrel that's different?
    Yes, pretty much, as long as the barrel profile fits the stock then they are fairly interchangeable. The length of case/action is the deciding factor really. Are you thinking of changing one?
    MS