Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit to the NRA Museum in Fairfax USA

Visit to the NRA Museum in Fairfax USA

Hi All

I thought I should write a little something about my visit to the NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA, USA to enlighten the SD members should you ever be in the vicinity of Washington / Northern Virginia.

I will offer my apologies now as I doubt it will be anything like the quality of Pinemartens write ups which I know we are all becoming fans of.

At the end of last year myself and my family moved to the US on secondment with my work for 2-5yrs settling in northern virginia some 35 miles west of washington DC.

Unbeknown to me at this time was that the NRA's head quarters is only 30 minutes from my house and located within its first floor is a museum which houses some of its collection. The museum is open to the public and admission is free.

So this week I finaly got time to take a visit, Mrs H and younger Miss H went off to Orlando to meet friends and do the Disney thing and left me alone for some man time, result.

First thing to report is the quality of the museum and the articles on display it really is first class, clearly benefiting from many years of donations of collections and funds.

The next thing which striked me was the diversity there really is something for all who love shooting and firearms and even for those with a slight curosity; shotguns, pistols, rifles, flintlocks, muzzles loaders even a gattling gun! in both civilian and military applications.

I'm an english gun nut and at the moment the museum has some of Petersons collection on display wow! Purdeys, Boss's, Holland and Hollands the list goes on in various high grades and rare small guages. Now I'm fortunate to have a father who deals in these things so have seen and shot most of them but I have never seen them in this quantity the guy was collecting high grade english guns like kids collect football cards!

You also get a real handle on the importance firearms played on the civilisation of the US from the first colonist's arriving, there are some stunning long rifles on display. Likewise early transisitonal firearms are there and a very big collection of military pieces from the various conflicts up to iraq with a .50cal Barnett.

Likewise Annie Oakleys shotgun and pistol are on display along with Rosevelts collection and some more humbling displays such as the Smith & Weston pistol from 9/11 found in the debris and for those with a passion for cinema you have the various guns used in the actual films ranging from westerns to dirty harry to no country for old men.

It really is overwelming and I'm really glad that I live nearby so can visit a few more times to take it in.

So for those SD members who are ever visiting Washington ot Northern Virginia I can really recommend a visit. Likewise for those passing via Dulles airport as its only a 30minute cab drive away (also worth noting there is a large shopping mall about a mile or so away so handy to entertain the other half).

I have attached a few pictures to give you an idea (apologies not much of a photographer).

Jason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRA 04.03.14 1 Hofer comp .jpg   NRA 04.03.14 5 Peterson gallery comp.jpg   NRA 04.03.14 9 Kennedy colt comp.jpg   NRA 04.03.14 15 H&H maj express comp.jpg   NRA 04.03.14 26 1911 pistol comp.jpg  

Welcome to the USA. Glad you enjoyed the museum. Contrary to what the main stream media would portray, the NRA (and yes, I am a life member) is not the boogeyman that wants all people to be murdered by guns.

They are also deeply involved at all levels in firearms education and training.

Pity we do not have something similar in this country. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

An very interesting read, thanks for sharing it. regards sbm

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Pity we do not have something similar in this country.
    We do - or at least we did have..... The Royal Ordnance Pattern Room. I was fortunate enough to have a day there many years ago, when it was still a Government organisation and based at Enfield. The collection was moved to ROF Nottingham and when that closed to the Royal Armouries at Leeds. Collection | Royal Armouries

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    We do - or at least we did have..... The Royal Ordnance Pattern Room. I was fortunate enough to have a day there many years ago, when it was still a Government organisation and based at Enfield. The collection was moved to ROF Nottingham and when that closed to the Royal Armouries at Leeds. Collection | Royal Armouries
    Having been the Curator of a museum I am well aware of the above. I was referring to the body of the NRA. We do not have such a powerful organisation in the UK.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I was referring to the body of the NRA. We do not have such a powerful organisation in the UK.
    Compring the American NRA to the British NRA is like comparing Winston Churchill to Gordon Brown....

Quote Originally Posted by Neumo View Post
    Compring the American NRA to the British NRA is like comparing Winston Churchill to Gordon Brown....
    Not so much Gordon Brown as Larry Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    I will offer my apologies now as I doubt it will be anything like the quality of Pinemartens write ups which I know we are all becoming fans of.
    Oh stop it, you're making me blush...

Certainly looks very interesting! For those around London, I recommend a trip to the Wallace Collection, which is just around the back from Selfridges, offering an opportunity perhaps for an arrangement during a shopping trip. Upstairs is the main art collection, with a particularly good selection of Canalettos, and a Fragonard that I'll go and loot one day if the Zombie apocalypse comes. Downstairs is a staggering collection of late mediaeval and renaissance arms and armour, including sneaky Venetian gems like swords with a flintlock pistol built into them. Well worth a couple of hours!

Here it is, "Les heureux hasards de l'escarpolette" or "The Swing". It rather loses its' subtlety in translation, it should be something like "the joyous happenstances of the swing".

Attachment 40314

I realise that I've taken this off-topic, sorry.
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 07-04-2014 at 09:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Here it is, "Les heureux hasards de l'escarpolette" or "The Swing". It rather loses its' subtlety in translation, it should be something like "the joyous happenstances of the swing".

Attachment 40314

I realise that I've taken this off-topic, sorry.
    That's just an 18th century smutty postcard! Chap on the ground is clearly looking up her frock