Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife blank

Knife blank

Hello folks, I am interested in having a go at putting together my own knife as a little project to do over the next few months, does anyone know where I could get a good quality knife blade (blank) that is already shaped with a full tang that I could then make a handle for, I have a few ideas as to materials for the handle wood/antler etc.I would be using it for deer and rabbits for field dressing if I make a nice job of it.
    Many thanks
    John

yes a good selection here

http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/

(Disclosure EHMK also sells some of my stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    yes a good selection here

http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/

(Disclosure EHMK also sells some of my stuff)
    very good link thank you, doug,
    DONT START

Check out Brisa knife making. It's Finnish I think but good prices and a massive selection of blanks plus everything else you may need.

I don't know if they still sell them, but in the early 1970s, I got started with an assortment of blades from William Rogers, the sword maker in Sheffield. They made a two-edged fighting knife for British Commandos in WWII, and later made the F-S dagger, which I consider to be inferior to their own.

They made hunting knives in the 1950s and 1960s with stacked leather handles and aluminum pommels. During the 1800s, they made hunting knives and utility knives for Americans going West.

Really good steel, all carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I don't know if they still sell them, but in the early 1970s, I got started with an assortment of blades from William Rogers, the sword maker in Sheffield. They made a two-edged fighting knife for British Commandos in WWII, and later made the F-S dagger, which I consider to be inferior to their own.

They made hunting knives in the 1950s and 1960s with stacked leather handles and aluminum pommels. During the 1800s, they made hunting knives and utility knives for Americans going West.

Really good steel, all carbon.
    George Wolstenholm from Sheffield was a prolific maker of bowie type knives during the last quarter of the 1800s his IXL mark was considered to be the best, and is still is very collectable. The company was still making knives into the 1970's, and I seem to remember two of the older employees making them on a part time basis up until a few years ago, Stu Mitchel will probably know more. deerwarden.

I use Moonraker knives and English hand made knives both great guys to deal with and knowledgeble.
    Tusker

Enzo Fisher blank from Brisa makes a very good gralloching knife.

English hand made Knives (Chris )

Stock a lot of the Brisa range as do a few UK sources (Brisa min order is 30 Euros and min postage is 10euros )

many thanks for the links, I shall have to crack out the tools.