Dog breeding.

basil

Distinguished Member
Do you remember a while ago you were asked to sign a petition to stop the KC having full control over dog breeding in the UK?
Well, here`s the initial response.

"In September 2009 the Kennel Club approached the Government to ask for more statutory powers so that the principles and standards of their accredited breeder scheme become mandatory for every dog breeder.

Defra is aware of the Kennel Club’s accredited breeder scheme and is urging the Kennel Club to gain UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Scheme) Accreditation. The accredited breeder scheme is a welcome step towards more responsible dog breeding and Defra would encourage other breeding clubs to set up similar schemes.

The Kennel Club, while being a key stakeholder in ongoing matters concerning the breeding of pedigree dogs, is not considered the “official governing body” of dogs, nor will it be so in the future.

In the aftermath of the BBC documentary, “Pedigree Dogs Exposed”, The Kennel Club, together with the Dogs Trust, commissioned Sir Patrick Bateson, emeritus professor of ethology at Cambridge University, to conduct an independent inquiry into dog breeding. This report is due to be published in January."
basil.

Hello basil

May I ask what your point is :confused: and what your views are :confused: before I jump in with both feet ;)

Max

From all I have heard and seen of this and some of the other stuff I think it should be brought in, and not only in KC reg breeds. Most of the ideas seem good but not sure how policable they are...

I think the next thing will be a licence to own a dog.

Max said:
Hello basil

May I ask what your point is :confused: and what your views are :confused: before I jump in with both feet ;)

Max
Max, a lot of members were concerned about being told the "how`s, why`s and what fors" of breeding their pedigree hunting dogs by the KC. They signed the petition if they were against the idea.
I personally would not want the KC to be able to tell me when i can and can`t breed my dog especially when their own house has been brought into disrepute over their own breeding standards.
I posted this so that folk can see the result of the petition if they haven`t seen it else where.
Lastly, why would you want to jump in with both feet?
basil.

finnbear and don't forget you also needed a licence for the radio in the car! ................. and even for owning an airgun you needed a gun licence brought over the counter at the post office if you wanted to use that air rifle for vermin ;) the game licence was seperate of course.

finnbear270 said:
I am old enough to remember purchasing dog licences 8)...p.s. also transistor licences too! :confused:
I remember the dog license. A whole thirty seven and a half pence!!
basil.

basil said:
finnbear270 said:
I am old enough to remember purchasing dog licences 8)...p.s. also transistor licences too! :confused:
I remember the dog license. A whole thirty seven and a half pence!!
basil.

Youngster! I paid 7s6d. ;)

Did you realise that it never changed in price from at least 1878 until it was abolished in 1987? I wonder what percentage of the average wage it represented at that time? :eek:

Back