6.5-06

buckeroo

which would it be easier to use 25-06 brass or 270 brass. the rifle is a shot out 25-06 tooley any info on the calibre if anybody shoots 1 what do they shoot bullet wise and how many rounds would a barrel last.

I neck 25-06 brass up and go from there .

I mostly shoot Hornady 129 SST's and Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting bullets . I used H4831SC with the 129 SST in the first 6.5-06 I had and it shot great . In my present 700 I am shooting the Berger pushed with RL-22 . It also seems to like the 129 pushed with RL-22 .

Some people are a little more hard core about brass then I am . Now with that being said I've used nothing but Winchester 25-06 brass in both the 6.5-06's I've had . I have a friend with a 6.5-06AI and he swears by Lapua 30-06 brass . I think he told me he has to outside neck turn the brass after he necks it down .

Anyway for a "hunting rifle" what I did with the two I've had seemed to work fine .

Buckeroo-- I make my 6.5-06 brass out of Winchester 25-06 brass same as 6pt-sika....never had an issue with...one pass thru the 6.5-06 die and go to loading.. In mine I use RL-19 and 120gr Sierra spitzers. Very accurate and deadly on the antelope I have taken with that rifle... I do plan to work up a load using the 130gr Accubonds soon....

Z

I do plan to work up a load using the 130gr Accubonds soon....

Z

Do yourself a favor and try the Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting bullet before the AccuBonds . Well that is if you can find any right now !

That bullet in my 700 6.5-06 is pure poisen on deer or paper !

Didn't do to bad on an over zealouse red fox either :cool:

Z , how far are you from Lake Village Arkansas ?

If you don't know Lake Village it's right across the Mississippi from Greenville MS.

Was down there piggie hunting a couple years back .

I zeroed my new scope in the other day and tested some 130gr vld hunting heads and shot the smallest 1 hole ive ever shot, that was h4831sc, mine is a 1 in 200mm twist 26 inch barrel, think its 1 in 7.89 twist in old money, its pretty darn amazing at 1k with 142gr smks and n160, ive got some 140gr hybrids to test at 1k, last ones I loaded were to hot, had some primers leak loading them to the same as 142 grainers, defo work up as data on 6.5 06 is a load of poo

Do yourself a favor and try the Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting bullet before the AccuBonds . Well that is if you can find any right now !

That bullet in my 700 6.5-06 is pure poisen on deer or paper !

Didn't do to bad on an over zealouse red fox either :cool:

6pt-sika....what is the OAL of your cartridge with the VLD? I built my 6.5-06 on a military mauser and the mag box length limits the size of my cartridges... I have toyed with the idea of trying the berger bullets but the mag length is the fly in the ointment.

I live at Wynne, about 3.5 hours north of Lake Village...I used to be in a lease near Fordyce and we killed a few hogs down there...

Zee

My 130gr vlds are sat on 50.5grs of h4831sc at a coal of 3,340,just s faint ejector mark on the case, berger didn't have h4831sc listed on there data so I checked nosler data for a 130 grainer which was 52grs, downloaded by 1.5grs, a extremely accurate load, I hope the 140gr hybrids are as good, the 1000yd test will let me know :D

Swarovski...I may have to have another look at the bergers...I could probably make them fit...but 3.340 maybe just a hair tight in my mag box...I load my 338-06ai out to 3.33" and it just fits... What brass are you using?

Zee

6pt-sika....what is the OAL of your cartridge with the VLD? I built my 6.5-06 on a military mauser and the mag box length limits the size of my cartridges... I have toyed with the idea of trying the berger bullets but the mag length is the fly in the ointment.

I live at Wynne, about 3.5 hours north of Lake Village...I used to be in a lease near Fordyce and we killed a few hogs down there...

Zee

I have mine at 3.338" pushed with 53 grains of RL-22 and set off with a Federal 215 primer . Bear in mind the load I use is one grain over max of what Berger suggests !

So as always should you decide to try this bullet etc , work up slowly .

Well, I am sure I can make that much powder fit the case...but the length will be critical... I looked back at my notes and my rifle is short throated as well...my COL using the 120gr Sierras is just 3.226" and I had to do that to fit the throat and have clearance.. I guess the best thing I could do is just get a box of the 130s and try em...if they down work in the 6.5-06 I bet they would work in one of my 6.5x55...I have a CZ550 and a hobby rifle that is built with a swede barrel and a turk actions...I am sure that one has a long throat... I always start low and work up...I found out long ago that every rifle is unique!!!

Zee

I use federal brass, my 6.5 06 was a tikka t3 varmint, I cant remember what inside magazine measures off hand, think ive got about 15 fow, as far as I know reamer was saami spec, not been throated for 140s, I chronied the 130gr vlds today, on 50.5grs of h4831sc gave an average of 2990fps over 5 shots, fastest was 2999fps

Last edited:
I use federal brass, my 6.5 06 was a tikka t3 varmint, I cant remember what inside magazine measures off hand, think ive got about 15 fow, as far as I know reamer was saami spec, not been throated for 140s, I chronied the 130gr vlds today, on 50.5grs of h4831sc gave an average of 2990fps over 5 shots, fastest was 2999fps
The reamer I used was a standard 6.5-06...supposedly saami specs..but the throat sure seems short when using the sierra bullets..maybe the ogive on the bergers will make a difference...

Z

I thought the heads looked to be sat deep, not so with the longer pointed bullets, watch for pressure signs when loading

I am going to stop into Cabela's later this week...maybe they will have some 130gr bergers on the shelf...you guys have gotten my interest up... About all I can do is try them out..if worse comes to worse..I could rent a throater and make a bit of room easy enough....

Z

Isnt much point making throat longer unless you intend to single load them, you already said your magazine has short internal measurement, I went out tonite to check to see the difference of point of aim between 130gr vlds with moderator and 142gr smks with muzzle brake, put 2 shots in the same hole and other a bullets width higher with brake on and a cloverleaf with tue mod on, its ready for the 1000yd day sunday :D

I do have a bit more room in my mag box than I have in the throat on that rifle....would take much reaming to match them up..even a little would help that throat...

Z

I do have a bit more room in my mag box than I have in the throat on that rifle....would take much reaming to match them up..even a little would help that throat...

Z

It's gotta be something with the reamer you used . We have two Clymer reamers for the 6.5-06 and have never had a problem with either not cutting the throat deep enough .

1000yd day yesterday, zeroed in sweet, new scope, I was peppering the 12 inch scoring circle zeroing, sun came blazing frew and wind was really funny, never see it come from 10 oclock then 12 then 3 0clock in a matter of minutes, well I struggle to see the bright orange markers as it is, the miraging when I shot was real bad, had my 4 siters as comp began, think I could see some orange so I measured with recticle and adjusted and banged 18 shots out of 20 shots down there,i had a jam on last detail and didnt get my last 2 shots off.I did pick out a few markers on the backer but didnt see any others, hopefully because they were on the target, if I did well it was luck, I did hand over some silvery marking discs to are rco to try out next time too see if they are more visable, orange over tan just blends together.

Last edited:
Back