Wing mirror gun rest?

karlbird

Just got myself a new truck - got an Xtrail.

Was out last night for the first time and rested my rifle in my usual place whilst driving, between the window frame and the wing mirror. Got home and found I have rubbed a bit of the blueing off my Howa, which has not happened before.

Anyone fashioned any kind of rest to stop this sort of thing happening - if so I would like to see your set up and how you have made it.

Regards.

I was always told to never allow the barrel of a rifle to lean on anything?? I use a "doggonegood" window rest... rock solid.

Red Dot - this was not whilst shooting, just driving around. I assume you mean letting your barrel rest on something and it affecting accuracy?

6.5 - that bag looks good, but not sure how it would function whilst driving around as a rest rather than when shooting? I was hoping for some easy, cheap solution.

as above, see if you can find the black stuff they use it for attic pipes and tanks its a lot stronger and denser than the grey and thicker it comes in flat sheets too, doug, about 1 inch thick its dead strong stuff,

Would that work on a RHD Defender with aluminium doors? The ease that he pushed the rounds in to it makes me think its crap?

Shooting off of the wing mirror gives a pretty narrow arc of fire. I find more and more now that it is much better to shoot leaning across to the passenger side. I don't even bother with any lagging but will occasionally drape an old coat over if I'm attempting a long shot. This means that you can leave you rifle safely wedged between the passenger seat and transmission tunnel out of the way of prying eyes, rain and mud. Ok, so you can't really leave it loaded there but otherwise I much prefer it.

Last edited:
I use a Deben rifle bag which also has bullet loops if it's a big night out.. I filled mine with cheap rice inside a zip seal bag so if it gets wet it doesn't go all mushy and rank

Rest.JPG
A bit agricultural and you can't put the window up with it in place but it gives a good arc of fire.

If your XTrail has the double sunroof, that is excellent if stood behind the passenger seat (pushed all the way forward), then off a short bipod you have great 360 stable shooting :)

one advantage of being left handed is ease of shooting out of the drivers window, i use a gardening kneeling mat over the sill .

Back