Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiocchi factory load over filled

Fiocchi factory load over filled

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in this section.

Any one had any dealings with overcharged factory load. I fired a 100gr .243win Fiocchi factory load and was surprised at the recoil. Upon attempting to lift the bolt and having never fired a overpressure cartridge I was suprised at how difficult it was to lift the bolt. Upon inspection of the case the primier had a black ring around it and the case base from the bolt extractor was shiny and the bolt face has some slithers of brass. I checked the rest of the cartridges and found that when shaking another 2 were so overcharged that unlike the others I could not hear the powder rattle in the cartridge and the weight difference was noticeable.

I now regret taking the rest of the cartridges straight back to the shop but as I'm off on a paid stalk soon I need some cartridges. The guy at the shop tried to phone the Fiocchi rep but had no joy.

Could the over pressure have damaged the gun and should I get it checked. I also checked the bolt and on the face around the firing pin is a black ring, which I can't say for sure, if it was there before or not. I gave it a wipe with cleaner and black ring remained. I have a friend with a Browning A bolt who I have asked to check his.

I will be contacting Fiocchi 1st thing Monday.

Gratful for your view.

Thanks
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 07-04-2014 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Hi,

I have a friend with a Browning A bolt who I have asked to check his.
    If your talking about the little primer sized ring around the firing pin hole in the bolt face ?
    My .223 A-bolt is the same (from new), the X-Bolt I used to have was as well.

Neil.

Hi Neil,

Yes thats exactly what I mean. Funny how I've cleaned and looked lots of time but never noticed. Didn't Sherlock say something like that " Watson you see but do not observe".

Thanks

Steve

"I checked the rest of the cartridges and found that when shaking another 2 were so overcharged that unlike the others I could not hear the powder rattle in the cartridge and the weight difference was noticeable."

Hardly scientific Charlie. Short of pulling the bullets and weighing the charges there is no way of telling for certain that too large a powder charge is present in a case. Even weighing the complete round will only be a guide as you can't be certain that the bullet is the same weight. There are other possible reasons for a stiff bolt lift and extraction so it's best not to jump to conclusions but if you did suspect the ammo perhaps it would have been better not to have fired any more rounds.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Steve if you want to pop round tomorrow and accurately weigh the rounds you have left feel free to call me.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    "I checked the rest of the cartridges and found that when shaking another 2 were so overcharged that unlike the others I could not hear the powder rattle in the cartridge and the weight difference was noticeable."

Hardly scientific Charlie. Short of pulling the bullets and weighing the charges there is no way of telling for certain that too large a powder charge is present in a case. Even weighing the complete round will only be a guide as you can't be certain that the bullet is the same weight. There are other possible reasons for a stiff bolt lift and extraction so it's best not to jump to conclusions but if you did suspect the ammo perhaps it would have been better not to have fired any more rounds.
    I totally agree, not very scientific. But when you shake 16 cartridges and 14 of them you can hear the powder rattle inside and 2 have absolutely no sound as they are either empty or completely full and I don't think just a prmier going off would have caused such a recoil. But Yes I wish I had kept them and pulled one which you could hear the powder noticabley rattle inside ( I have used these in past and found that the seems to be a fair bit of space in the case) and pulled one of the others. I have no doubt they are over charged, as I stated after the event you could notice the difference when handling the cartrigde, the guy even in the shop mentioned that without any prompting from me. The COL looked the same too, I know not very scentific either but there was not a visually noticlable seating depth variation. Hopefully Fiocchi will have some answer. .
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 07-04-2014 at 15:24.

Thanks Neil, but I took them straight back to the shop which is only a few miles away from the range as I'm supposed to be going Stalking next week (Muntjac) and I wanted to get the rifle sorted for heavier SP & not the 58gr Vmax I have been using.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Steve if you want to pop round tomorrow and accurately weigh the rounds you have left feel free to call me.

Neil.

Might be a long shot but the shop has probably still got them. If you are still pondering it, you might be able to buy two of them back, as it's now a part box, and measure the powder. It would be interesting to know what the outcome is if you do. I use the Fiocchi .22's in my CZ and found them grouping tighter than the Winnies.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Might be a long shot but the shop has probably still got them. If you are still pondering it, you might be able to buy two of them back, as it's now a part box, and measure the powder. It would be interesting to know what the outcome is if you do. I use the Fiocchi .22's in my CZ and found them grouping tighter than the Winnies.
    I have got all the cartridges back. The 2 suspect ones weigh exactly 100 grains more than the 14 other ones. Bearing in mind it was a 100Gr bullet I suspect that these one have 2 bullets set in the one case. God only knows what that has done to the bore. The cartridges are being sent to the proofing house for independent testing.

I'm probably going to post in gun smith section on any help / guidance on getting bore checked.
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 09-04-2014 at 18:01. Reason: proof bit added

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    I have got all the cartridges back. The 2 suspect ones weigh exactly 100 grains more than the 14 other ones. Bearing in mind it was a 100Gr bullet I suspect that these one have 2 bullets set in the one case. God only knows what that has done to the bore. The cartridges are being sent to the proofing house for independent testing.

I'm probably going to post in gun smith section on any help / guidance on getting bore checked.
    I can not write what words were just expelled! Glad you are still with us.