Wild Boar in Scotland

BearStalker

At long last, I will be moving to Scotland - June 2014 - and can't wait to get a chance at some of the Wild Boar I keep reading about. I stalked them, very, successfully, until 2001, in Germany (when the US Government, in their infinite wisdom, or lack there of, moved me back to Washington State, USA), and can't wait to get to them again, but, this time, in Scotland. Can anyone tell me whom/who I should contact to get things started?

Thank you in advance.

At long last, I will be moving to Scotland - June 2014 - and can't wait to get a chance at some of the Wild Boar I keep reading about. I stalked them, very, successfully, until 2001, in Germany (when the US Government, in their infinite wisdom, or lack there of, moved me back to Washington State, USA), and can't wait to get to them again, but, this time, in Scotland. Can anyone tell me whom/who I should contact to get things started?

Thank you in advance.
LOOK UP colin solway stalker sound bloke,atb doug,

Being an American who has wild boar of Bavarian ancestry only 15 minutes from my house, and more in a few other patches along a river basin and in the mountains, I am curious about how wild boar came to Scotland. Are these native, or did someone transplant them from Europe, as they did to North Carolina, like the red deer to New Zealand and Argentina?

The 'wild boar' in southern scotland are all tamworth crosses that 'escaped'from a local farm, look very much like wild boar thou. Dunno how they are classed now since the police change over, previously D&G reguarded them as feral pigs.

Most if not all wild boar in uk are ecapee's (some from animal rights nutters, others big storms smashing fences) so will depend wot exactly the farm was farming, no actually intentionally re-introductions.

I think i'm right in saying pure boar are classed as dangerous/exotic animals and need a licnece and strict security/fencing etc bt if ur using crosses just cassed as pigs/livestock.

The 'wild boar' in southern scotland are all tamworth crosses that 'escaped'from a local farm, look very much like wild boar thou. Dunno how they are classed now since the police change over, previously D&G reguarded them as feral pigs.

Most if not all wild boar in uk are ecapee's (some from animal rights nutters, others big storms smashing fences) so will depend wot exactly the farm was farming, no actually intentionally re-introductions.

I think i'm right in saying pure boar are classed as dangerous/exotic animals and need a licnece and strict security/fencing etc bt if ur using crosses just cassed as pigs/livestock.
Not quite right
Our local gamedealer wouldnt buy carcasses until he was sure he could sell them as wild boar , he arranged all the tests etc
Not sure exactly how they got there but its great to have them around
Not to be mistaken with the ones that escaped at Carminnows

Thank you, Solway.
Most of the wild pigs in the USA are from escaped domestic stock, reverted to the wild, just as feral dogs will do in a few generations. There are a few in fenced hunting areas of Michigan and Canada which came from Russia or Poland. The ones in Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, and some of South Carolina are from Bavarian stock brought to fenced estates of railroad barons in the late 1890s, which escaped. These are large and quite dangerous. Some have made their way down rivers to the swamps, like the one whose photo I posted a few weeks ago. Some have interbred with domestic pigs escaped during Hurricane Hugo in 1989.

So do u not know where they came from?
Thought it was pretty common knowledge exactly where they came from.
Couldnt be certain , there were two guys who kept boar in my area and ive heard stories of others as well
I know one lot escaped or were let loose , if i believed all the stories ive heard there would have been half a dozen different
guys releasing boar

I thought they all came from the big fella, he definately had some, and he's the only fella i've heard of keeping them over that way, plus his land certainly sits pretty much central to where most of the boar are/started

Was just surpirised as he is that well known over that area and thought u would know him.

Can u not just search for who had the relevent licence in an area to keep pure boar? So any from anywhere else where be some sort of cross. Often helps the body size and size of litter

I was at T in the park 1 year and a certain company where selling 'wild boar' burgers and wild boar crackling?? the burgers where pure white flesh, very nice pork thou.
Is it not an expensive DNA test to tell the difference and i think there is only a tiny % difference between the 2

I thought they all came from the big fella, he definately had some, and he's the only fella i've heard of keeping them over that way, plus his land certainly sits pretty much central to where most of the boar are/started

Was just surpirised as he is that well known over that area and thought u would know him.

Can u not just search for who had the relevent licence in an area to keep pure boar? So any from anywhere else where be some sort of cross. Often helps the body size and size of litter

I was at T in the park 1 year and a certain company where selling 'wild boar' burgers and wild boar crackling?? the burgers where pure white flesh, very nice pork thou.
Is it not an expensive DNA test to tell the difference and i think there is only a tiny % difference between the 2
Yea he certainly got the blame for releasing them , i was best mates with his son , we used to feed them in his enclosure for him when he was away on his travels
There were a couple more guys on the coast had a few , one of them may still have a few
(The big fella died last year )

I thought i heard that.
Didn't know him personally but a few boys i shoot with knew him pretty well, althou i can remember giving his son a lift to keepering college many years ago:old: we both were block release at st boswells and in same digs 20 odd year ago, althou i can only mind him coming over a couple of times so dunno if he started keepering later than me/or finished earlier?

View attachment 40354
I thought i heard that.
Didn't know him personally but a few boys i shoot with knew him pretty well, althou i can remember giving his son a lift to keepering college many years ago:old: we both were block release at st boswells and in same digs 20 odd year ago, althou i can only mind him coming over a couple of times so dunno if he started keepering later than me/or finished earlier?
Brad moved to Shropshire after a bit of a fall out with his dad , he got married to a local girl , he now works in a garage down there and is a retained fireman
View attachment 40353 Big pete and me and Brad 25 years ago

Last edited:

Thank you in advance.

Did you get your house all sorted? looks like good news see you in June,

John

Back