Roe Buck heads a question

seibassman7

With the new season upon us I have a question. Does anyone have a set of photos that shows the difference between a non medal head and a bronze, silver and gold head. I am curious to see the different heads hopefully to the same scale so I can see the variation in quality. Regards sbm

With the new season upon us I have a question. Does anyone have a set of photos that shows the difference between a non medal head and a bronze, silver and gold head. I am curious to see the different heads hopefully to the same scale so I can see the variation in quality. Regards sbm
Any particular species? Malcolm put some Roe Golds up recently.

There are many factors which influence the CIC score of various heads.
Length, 25cm/10 inches is a help. Porosity of antler causes weight differences. Colour, internal span, pearling etc all contribute to the final score.
Some people lose a medal by cutting the scull and removing too much. [Nothing can be added for that simple mistake but there is a statutory allowance for an uncut scull.]
I shot a symmetrical 8 pointer in 1963 which would have been a Bronze medal if I had not been` so savage with the saw` , the words of my old friend, that master measurer, the late Kenneth G Whitehead.

HWH.

I think what he means is ,is there some form of identification pictures he can use as a reference point to check the size of medal heads, in other words to compare with, i think thats what he means if that makes any sense? ive wondered this myself,

Thats a good link but I was really after a set of photos that show 'one of each' that I could view side by side as a sample comparison. I know one bronze will be different from another but it would give me an idea. I probably will neversee an example of them all in the flesh but it would be nice to be educated in case I do. regards sbm

I think that you may be asking for the impossible because it's not a purely visual thing. At best you will only get a set of broad examples. Probably the nearest that you will get to what you want is reports such as in Shooting Times but the photographs then are not all taken from the same angle or at the same magnification.

Judging Roe Bucks in the field is not that easy. As Stag as already pointed out the difference in weight can be remarkable when one picks up a prepared and dried head.

Judging by length can be a good indicator, but for a medal head the antlers have to be at least half the length of the ear again. There should be good thickness to the bases and nice pearling evenly spread across.

west sussex trophy bucks 006.jpg

Here you can see 2 freshly prepared Roe Buck heads shot on my ground from 2 years ago. They are almost equal length, but the left hand went high gold and the right hand was mid silver. The silver was a much older beast.

west sussex trophy bucks 011.jpg

This gives you a slightly better sense of scale of size, and they are not held out in front to make the heads look bigger either!

WP_000125.jpg

This was taken by a client with me last year, long head, you would judge maybe gold............silver. It didn't make it on the weight. Still a beautiful head though.

Hope this has helped.

Regards

Malc

As HWH correctly says, there are many different aspects to what adds up to a medal head and therefore a simple set of three photos of Bronze, Silver and Gold heads will not necessarily give you the guidance that you are looking for. The new CIC Red Book contains detailed photographs of the various different aspects of the scoring qualities of a head which will enable you to assess your own heads more accurately than before. The publication of the Red Book is imminent. That all said, if you would like to pm me, I will send you photos that will hopefully give you some guidance,

TDW

Many thnaks for the replies. I have taken on board the comments that any photo will only tell half the story. I willlook at the photos kindly sent and posted and do some research on cicetc. Trust me to think this would be a simple question :doh:any way, thanks for the help, the research stats here regards sbm

Judging Roe Bucks in the field is not that easy. As Stag as already pointed out the difference in weight can be remarkable when one picks up a prepared and dried head.

Judging by length can be a good indicator, but for a medal head the antlers have to be at least half the length of the ear again. There should be good thickness to the bases and nice pearling evenly spread across.

View attachment 40264

Here you can see 2 freshly prepared Roe Buck heads shot on my ground from 2 years ago. They are almost equal length, but the left hand went high gold and the right hand was mid silver. The silver was a much older beast.

View attachment 40265

This gives you a slightly better sense of scale of size, and they are not held out in front to make the heads look bigger either!

View attachment 40266

This was taken by a client with me last year, long head, you would judge maybe gold............silver. It didn't make it on the weight. Still a beautiful head though.

Hope this has helped.

Regards

Malc
They're some cracking heads malc well done :)

brilliant! everything in one photo! exactly what I was after an example of a head that has made each award. I know there will be variation but this is fantastic thank for posting.

Also great job on getting the set, fantastic heads :finger:

regards sbm

I would have liked to seen the bronze medal head after a couple of years , he looks like he would have real potential
Aye, very true.
I shot both him and the Silver on his left locally on my lease in the same forest.

With hind-sight I should have left him but it is always easier to see your mistakes after the trophy is boiled off.
His pedicles are very thin and coronets are very small.

The Gold and other Silver were arrested in Southern Sweden.

HWH.

Back