Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your insurance valid?

Is your insurance valid?

Part of the discussion at the DCS best practice was insurance. There is a discrepency in the percieved and actual insurance from BASC and other providers. The 10m insurance is recreation only unless otherwise stipulated. It does not cover commercial activity. SGA and I would expect NGO covers keepers but not recreational stalkers doing commercial work. Where the dividing line is is a grey area. Selling the odd deer as a byproduct is acceptable as recreational but taking payment for a cull or doing it for reward nullifies your insurance. It may be an idea for a BASC member on here to email basc and ask for a clarification where that dividing line is. I will contact SGA as a recreational member for a guideline. Other groups could do likewise. SACS, NGO, etc
    BDS is different, It does not provide insurance but will give commercial insurance to members, This apparently takes thereir cost up to that of BASC but no ambiguities.
    Don't panic but it is a matter we had better get qualified. To often insurance companies slip out from under.
    JIm

Been there and done that!

BASC & BDS cover is NOT suitable for anyone taking paying Clients etc.

SACs offer business membership that covers you for 10 million third party liability, employers liability (run by the NFU) etc and it is worldwide cover.

About 40 a year!

NFU will do the same cover for about 1100.

Simple decision.

Rgds

Ian

Thanks Ian, it was an eye opener to me because when they are selling thier product they are not very forthcoming with that info. It would be very easy to step over into the realms of the uninsured,
    Jim

BDS insurance gives cover for some paying Clients etc up to acertain limit

Jimbo
    surely members asked this question before hand before parting with any money ??

but this is quite an interesting thread if it developes into a proper discussion and not a mudslinging match
    as i see it there could be a lot of good done here concerning insurances

Ian
    you said
    SACs at 40
    compared to 1100 from the NGO

anyone from the NGO care to comment or atleast clarify on this
    just incase it might be wrong

surely there has to be a lot more to this than meets the eye

I have just signed some new lease papers and I was asked for my BASC (or otherwise) insurance, I pointed out that I would send the BASC and also my work insurance as it was always a grey area. The reason, well the woodland is a commercial woodland and as such it could be deemed that we were doing a job of Management, also when I go on and sell a deer this could also be deemed to be a commercial event. My trust of insurance companies isn't great, but thankfully I'm covered from both sides of the coin.

The NGO insurance is only for non comercial use, they dont offer any additional insurance cover. 30 membership gives keepers a voice which in the past had been lost as well as 10m recreational insurance.

BDS insurance is tailored for stalkers

Just to clear things up, the BDS insurance policy, which is sold as a bolt on to membership, gives full coverage for ALL sporting activities including game shooting in the same manner as the BASC policy. In addition it gives cover for sales of venison and income derived from stalking up to an annual limit of 2400. The cost is 21.00 for UK and Europe. Worldwide cover (less the USA and Canada) is also available. The snag is that it runs annually from the 1st of August so that is the best time to join. If you join after the 1st of Feb it is 13.50 for the remainder of the year until 1 August. So with DD membership at 48 the total for a year if you took membership and insurance would be 69. This figure will not go up in 2010.

As i take the odd guest out and some of them do not have there own insurance i phone and asked SACS to give me insurance that would cover me i was told that because i had joined under the syndicate member eg SLDG that i am covered for taking clients out. COST 30 Stand alone might be forty not sure.

Sounds too good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalker2010
    As i take the odd guest out and some of them do not have there own insurance i phone and asked SACS to give me insurance that would cover me i was told that because i had joined under the syndicate member eg SLDG that i am covered for taking clients out. COST 30 Stand alone might be forty not sure.
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably is - I would get that answer in writing and read the small print carefully.